+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 891: Believing in me

Default Re: Chapter 891: Believing in me

Oda adding some more layers to Katakuri this chapter. Previously there were a few mentally challenged members of OJ that actually believed that Kata's doughnut scene meant he was an insecure person. That was obviously false and this chapter confirms that his need to hide himself comes from a desperate need to have a place where he can relax due to the constant pressures of his family to maintain a perfect image at all times. Despite the fact that he clearly hates being put on a pedestal as noted by the fact that he told Brulee to shut up when she began praising him too much. Yet he has to be perfect in order gain their affection.

Not only does it add a bit of depth to Katakuri but it highlights the previously missing opposing beliefs and ideologies of the characters thats always been present throughout all of Luffy's fights. For Luffy vs Katakuri though there are probably more parallels than contrasts. Both are struggling to live up to the trust put in them by their respective families. One is a family of blood and one is a family of bonds. And as you all know one of One Piece's major themes has been that bonds > blood. Katakuri's refusal to touch the floor and even regarding it as shameful fully emphasizes just how heavily he's been indoctrinated into this belief. Luffy refusal to stay down obviously acting as a message to Kata that it's ok to fall down as long as you get back up again. Y'know shounen stuff.

Another thing this chapter points out is something I've been talking about for a long time. People often only consider characters to be moving "fast" when a certain flash step trope is in use. This chapter further points out that what we see and what the characters see are two different things. Just because we the readers can see characters punching eachother doesn't necessarily mean the characters actually watching the fight can see that.

That last panel of Big Mom riding on Prometheus was insane. If this is her while severely weakened I can't even imagine what kind of monster she is when at full power.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Sadly, her presentation turned Sanji into a consummate pedophile as she is the 33rd daughter at 15 years and Pudding is the 35th.
    Does this honestly surprise anyone? I've always assumed that if they looked womanly enough, Sanji wouldn't have any trouble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubtro View Post
    - that Jimbei didnīt try some kind of 1000 water pillar gattling to destroy FireBallFace
    That he didn't even try to fight it gives the situation more weight.

Just compare Prometheus to Ace's last resort ultimate attack.....

Spoiler:

....to the much bigger Big Mom (compared to Ace) riding Prometheus:

Spoiler:

And now the guy who fought Ace for 5 days basically says "well fuck me, we're done".

In the middle of the ocean.

As a water user.

People wanted Yonkou level action, here is your Yonkou level action.

Anyway, I think my favorite part of the chapter was Perospero freaking out about Monster Chopper. Perospero.

Discovered Stowaway

I liked:
    - how the Tontatta got piracy completely wrong and instead of destroying and plundering theyīre re-building stuff
    - Stussy nonchalantly dropping the Tamate boom information; I wish Morgan was witnessing the BM scenes to report about it later, but then I remembered he couldnīt fly
    I don't know what to make of that whole Tamatebako reveal. What was inside of it before the New Fishman Pirates stole it and filled it with Energy Steroids? Was it supposed to be something valuable and they are supposed to think that the explosion destroyed its contents? I get if they thought it was something that is now lost forever because of it, but surely they would have mentioned that, not just that the Tamatebako exploded. Is she, as a government secret agent, attempting to incite a war between Big Mom and Fishman Island, to foment political unrest or destroy a potential threat to the WG status quo? Let Big Mom kill those nasty non-humans and don't let the Marines get their hands dirty and remain totally oblivious and with a clean conscience...seems like Cipher Pol thinking to me, all right.

- BM pirates trying to sabotage the duel by sniping Luffy
    - that we (finally) got some more pretty intense and quite satisfactory fighting scenes of Luffy vs Kata (in particular the face->shoulder->shoulder part was great), not just talk and commentaries from bystanders;
    - how Luffy does Gokuīs "calm like water" training but actually in the middle of a life and death fight against a seemingly superior oponent
    - monster Chopper attempting to go all out, he seems to be burned which would imply he tried to block FireBallFace
    - grand FireBallFace with BM on top of it, just majestic
    Ditto. I'm actually a little surprised Katakuri isn't blocking the shots so that he can have the victory all to himself. Even if he's a punk, he still seems like the type to have a non-interference policy when it comes to battling. I'm wondering if Luffy is going to end up with an edge over Katakuri, and to the point where he's the one that can't be touched, and Katakuri is totally broken down by this development. It happens in Dragonball Z a couple of times, where someone's speed alone makes it so that a stronger opponent ends up having to surrender because they just can't land a hit. Luffy can still take down an unguarded Katakuri with strength alone, he just needs to be able to avoid being hit himself, and be able to catch Katakuri off-guard without any Haki defense. I know Luffy said he wanted to beat him at his best, but unless we got an indication of him getting his Armament Haki boosted as well, it doesn't seem like that'll be possible.

I disliked:
    - another random BM kid commentator out of nowhere getting a 2-3 page intro during the climax of the three story lines, it feels out of place and given thereīs only so many pages per chapter, she steals too much space that couldīve been given to Chopper or another significant character
    I liked her only because she looked like Franky doing a Coup de Boo and at the time that was the funniest damn thing ever.

- BM pirates chilling and waiting for Kata to win instead of simply ganging up on Luffy, that sniping from trash underlings was funny but half-assed
    I'm surprised they're even doing that, seems like getting in Katakuri's way right now is suicidal. No one lives knowing what he really looks like under that wrap, and I'm pretty sure if he's got his eye on a target, the rest better not try to rob him of the pleasure of annihilating it.

- Sanji, too much of a poser this chapter for my liking, doesnīt feel like he put his life on the line to create the cake compared to Luffy and Jimbei+Nami+Brook+Chopper+Carrot who stood at deathīs doorstep all this time; the cake is apparently complete yet we havenīt seen him do anything to create it (from the baking process), itīs just there
    - monster Chopper lacking an actual action panel, just talk
    Yeah, that more than anything felt like the waste of time we're all getting sick of but now that they're within sight of the one looking for their food delivery, hopefully we're getting to the end, but with Luffy's fight still going on, who knows. Every other plan has failed so far, why not this one?

- that Jimbei didnīt try some kind of 1000 water pillar gattling to destroy FireBallFace
    Could have been a bad translation on Mangastream, but someone said something like that there 'wasn't enough water in the ocean' or somethign to that effect, so it wouldn't have worked regardless. But I'm not one to turn down an opportunity for Jimbei to be his badass self kicking ass and taking names, so even if futile, it would have looked cool. But yeah, seems like we were spared some filler by not even trying to quell the unstoppable force.

In the last page he says that water wouldn't work in that situation. Either any water he threw at Prometheus would evaporate before reaching it or the amount of water Jinbe can control wouldn't be able to cause it any damage, either way Jinbe didn't tried anything because he realized it wouldn't work (and remember he is the one at the helm, so wasting time on an useless attack would cost them any centimeter of advantage they could get thanks to his steering skills).

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    This is it! Sanji's time to shine. And not talking about cake, drop that for a second, the danger here is BALL OF FIRE. Same as nami was able to control zeus because he cloud, sanji will shine now by controling this ball of fire prometheus. And get to keep him at the end, just like nami.
    Big Mom will probably deactivate Prometheus herself. Remember Oven was about to ruin the cake heating the sea water... doubt BM would do anything that can damage the cake.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; January 12th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

Sup strawhats.. here's my review of the chapter....Oda starting 2018 strong!! https://youtu.be/pMCrjKfvrtQ

How about a compromise?

Cut the girl out and spend her 3 pages on the Sunny survival battle, the focus of the last chapter. Jimbei is the guy who owned Prometheus with a handful of water last time, itīs reasonable to expect to see him at least try that here.

- page one, Jimbei jumps into the ocean, does spinning kicks to create X water pillars, which pierce Prometheus, super cool drawing
    - page two, it seems to work and Prometheus starts to shrink but then we get a visual of BM pouring her soul power into Prometheus and as a result, Prometheus grows stronger and it negates Jimbeiīs attack, which prompts Jimbei to go "this is no good", he waterpillars himself back to the ship and tries to steer to escape
    - page three, the gigantic, BM juiced Prometheus goes after Sunny, Chopper turns monster point and actually blocks the sun for a second, gets burned in the process

In the grand FireBallFace vs Chopper / Sunny spread, thereīs a little dark spot in the air, almost hidden, which is next chapter shown to be flying Sanji who saves the day by simultaneously kicking Prometheus into space (or even better, BMīs fleet), and stuffing BMīs face with the cake.

The Sanji portion and BMīs reaction would be shown next chapter. BM goes into a state of nirvana / ecstasy / euphoria from the cake, we get rainbows, fireworks and hearts with faces flying around, a cloud materializes into an actual Cloud Nine from BMīs soul powers, which sheīll float on.
    Last edited by Nubtro; January 12th, 2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: clarifying that Sanji saves the day next chapter

So, instead of meeting a new character that adds to our knowledge of the Charlotte family and how it works - thus helping it to feel like a more organic/real group instead of just a bunch of fighting plot devices -, just get useless action that would waste pages on nothing?

Why wish Oda had wasted 5 pages to convey the same thing he managed to convey in 2?

Wow, useless action? OK then skip the whole Luffy fight and show us a page of Kata lying on his back with Luffy standing on top of him. The author conveyed that Luffy won, right?

My biggest gripe with OP is that a lot of stuff gets off-paneled because of "reasons", which may or may not include OP world being so big, many characters, weekly serialization etc.

I thought itīs supposed to be a medium where action is drawn with added text/dialogue and the better it is balanced the more enjoyable for most readers.
    If most of what we get is implied, only stated by characters who comment on what just happened without it being shown, then the story would completely lose its charm, at least for me.
    Last edited by Nubtro; January 12th, 2018 at 01:46 PM.

Point is there's no reason to add those pages if they don't actually accomplish anything.

Not sure if youīre serious. Useless action? OK then skip the whole Luffy fight and show us a page of Kata lying on his back with Luffy standing on top of him. The author conveyed that Luffy won, right?

Wow.
    Well, I have to ask if you are seriously suggesting an actual major event and the non-existing scene you made up are equally important to the manga.

Or that you can't see why "showing a character slowly progressing until we can be rewarded with his success" is completely different from "showing characters failing just to get nowhere". What you described is more akin to a filler scene added by the anime team to waste time in random action... actually, I can totally see that being included in the anime.

You know when people say others are complaining just because things didn't happen exactly as they wanted? It's because of things like this.

You mean, like make you feel good about the main characters?
    Or, you know, draw you into a fantasy world where your favorites are shown to attempt to deal with a 100m smiling fireball to escape reality for a few minutes this week?

Iīll stop here. Itīs no use arguing, we seem to have completely different views on what we wish to see drawn in the manga. Or whatīs more likely, youīre talking about something else and I donīt understand what youīre trying to say.

I am baffled and confused right now. Those statements really caught me off guard.
    Last edited by Nubtro; January 12th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

When Big Mom finally gets that cake, it should be its own chapter, not a page or two following other events.

The portion with Sanji and cake would happen next chapter. Sorry, maybe that wasnīt clear, although I explicitly said "next chapter".
    In the grand FireBallFace vs Chopper / Sunny spread, thereīs a little dark spot in the air, almost hidden, which is next chapter shown to be flying Sanji who saves the day by simultaneously kicking Prometheus into space (or even better, BMīs fleet), and stuffing BMīs face with the cake.

BM goes into a state of nirvana / ecstasy / euphoria from the cake, we get rainbows, fireworks and hearts with faces flying around, a cloud materializes into an actual Cloud Nine from BMīs soul powers, which sheīll float on.
    Iīm going to put another "next chapter" note in my original post.

Is that what you meant? I didnīt suggest BM to be resolved this chapter, we can have her go through 10 states of ecstasy over 3 chapters for all I care, I simply wanted to see some Chopper and Jimbei action (my favorites among the crew beside Luffy and Robin) against the fireball instead of emphasizing the "most popular bro" theme (I simply donīt care about Katakuri that much) from the bubble-gum girl, thatīs all.

Like the comment from Perospero. Did he say that because Chopper turned large?
    Wouldīve been cooler from my POV had he reacted to the fact that Chopper actually stopped the Fireball in its tracks for a bit. I just want to see the crew do stuff, like all the time, aftershow reaction panels without the action simply donīt make me happy enough heh.
    Last edited by Nubtro; January 12th, 2018 at 02:18 PM.

hey stephen .

Future Disappointment Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I liked the scene with Flambe a lot, because it shed more light on Katakuri's character and role in the crew. When Luffy takes him down, it's going to be a BIG deal.

With regards to wanting action before Prometheus expanded...didn't we get that? The scene in this chapter is pretty much a direct continuation of what happened in the last one. The Straw Hats managed to use their wits and abilities to force back Big Mom a bit, they captured Zeus, but then Big Mom just flexes her muscle on them and decides to torch them with an empowered Prometheus. The only thing we actually missed was Chopper eating a Rumble Ball and transforming on-panel.

Spoiler:

Do you think Chopperīs shoulder caught on fire because heīs standing too close to the fireball or did he get in contact with it in some way (attempted to block it)?

Third to last drawing with Nami and the question mark. Do you think there something in the air flying towards them (dark spot above her head) or is she reacting to the ship in the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBi View Post
    damn , so Luffy could learn the power to see the future under one day? Now katakuri isn't looked special anymore
    Luffy probably learned how to control the power this day, but Luffy's power could have been hinted at a couple of years ago during a fight with Mihawk in the war.

The Stussy comment seems fairly straightforward to me. She wants the SHP and the BMP to tear each other apart and weaken themselves to an extent where a military force can come in and wipe them out. Its only 9:30 atm. Theres more than enough time for news to reach the BMP fleet that the SH's destroyed their castle. Her comment makes sure that after BM gets satisfied by the cake, the BMP will not forgive the strawhats. It ensures that the "climax" of this arc is not the cake and that the SH alliance will be forced into battles with the BMP. Theres still a lot more to go till this arc is over imo. It will be close to dressrosa length because after the cake is eaten, I foresee 1v1's.
    Last edited by Carboar D Addy; January 12th, 2018 at 03:51 PM.

After eating that cake...anyone sees Big Mom becoming a SH ally? she'll acknowledge Sanji's cooking to be the best...unless she wants to keep him lmao
    One Piece ,\/,,

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information