+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Devilman Crybaby

Default Devilman Crybaby

So anyone see this yet? Just finished binging this the other day after being hyped for this for the better half of a year and I definitely though it lived up to the hype. I mostly checked this out cause it was done by Yuasa and I love Ping Pong. Haven't read the original series or watched anything related to Devilman before this even though the series and Devil Lady were on my to read list for a long time. What are Go Nagai fans' thoughts on this as an adaptation?

Entire series is up on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww06yGPM7Kc

Default Re: Devilman Crybaby

Didn't knew this was a thing, but I love the animation so I'll give it a try.

Devilman is pretty damn solid for something so old. Might seen a bit cheesy here and there, but then again, pretty much everything from that age does. The biggest plot twists in Fist of the North Star always involved someone being someone else's brother, and some stuff from Devilman also suffer from the passage of time.

However, be warned. Lady is a total mindfuck and goes into a very bizarre path midway through, and the ending is the most bizarre thing I've read in any manga. I would still recommend it for how weird it ends up being.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Hell, now that I think about it, the curveballs that manga throws at you are pretty damn hilarious on hindsight.

Yeah I'm not going to lie. I put off reading Devilman cause the series looked incredibly dated, even though the art still has its charm, and I just saw how memesy the first volume was with Ryo and his expressions being at contrast with his dialogue. Still I know that it's hugely influential on series like Berserk and Evangelion so I plan to give it a read even though I just saw the series. Episode 9 though, anyone who's watched the series or read the original manga knows what I'm talking about. That was pretty harrowing O_O.

Well, this is actually good. First episodes I thought it would some Urotsukidouji kind of thing, but it became good as it went on.

Wish I was one of those people who record reaction videos. Next to last episode would just have me staring at the screen mouth open for like 10 minutes.

First contact with the franchise, though, so my opinion is of this series as a stand-alone.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Ahahahahahaah episode 7 spoilers!!

Spoiler:
    Trump just closed the US borders for fear that devils are a Russian Bioweapon. AHAHAHAHAH I'm dying

Episode 8 (ending)

Spoiler:
    Ryo is literally Hitler. Or.. maybe... he's something even worse

Episode 9

Spoiler:
    Jesus that went full lord of the flies pretty damn fast. Was not expecting Miko to die. I'm sad now, she would've been a great waifu. Too bad she's dead.

Episode 10! Za Endo

Spoiler:
    So apparently they followed the manga ending, not the anime ending. I'd never watched or read either, just wikipedia'd it. Damn that was depressing. But hey, i now know where Hideaki Anno got the idea for the visuals of End of Evangelion! Although even that's a little more hopeful than this. Everyone dies, Satan realises he killed his only love, then everyone's wiped out by the tenshi in the sky above. Just like in the bible. Now, can someone edit this series to have the og anime ending instead? I really wanna see Miki and Akira kiss and live happily ever after as devilman and wife...

Final non-spoilery thoughts: Super well made series, stunning top notch visuals (Better than Mob Psycho even! Because they have that sweet sweet sakuga and keep the character models working somehow, it's magic!), grotesque and takes quite a few plot liberties, but I like the way it melded everything together in a way that felt fluid and made sense. 9/10, could've done with maybe 2 extra episodes to flesh out characters, get a bit more poignance from key moments, instead of being so breakneck action-keen. Kinda like the reverse of Evangelion, where the main point against the series is that it loses focus of the plot because it's so invested in developing the character's subconscious psyche (and ran out of money).

Will be recommending to non-anime fans, throw em in head first into the psychedelic gorefest that is Devilman Crybaby. I really hope Go Nagai (the mangaka) gets a chance to see the series! It's finally getting the attention it deserves outside of japan.
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; January 9th, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Having just read it before watching got say, I was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Ahahahahahaah episode 7 spoilers!!

Spoiler:
    Trump just closed the US borders for fear that devils are a Russian Bioweapon. AHAHAHAHAH I'm dying

Episode 8 (ending)

Spoiler:
    Ryo is literally Hitler. Or.. maybe... he's something even worse

Episode 9

Spoiler:
    Jesus that went full lord of the flies pretty damn fast. Was not expecting Miko to die. I'm sad now, she would've been a great waifu. Too bad she's dead.
    Episode 9 was hella Berserk.
    Spoiler:
    reminded me of the Eclipse. Seeing Wamu dragged out just to give Miki a false sense of hope was one of the cruelest things they did.

Quote Originally Posted by elzhi View Post
    Episode 9 was hella Berserk.
    Spoiler:
    reminded me of the Eclipse. Seeing Wamu dragged out just to give Miki a false sense of hope was one of the cruelest things they did.
    Episode 9 is Berserk. As in literally what influenced what you're thinking of.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Episode 10 spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I just dislike that we had Episode 9 ending with Akira going "humans are the true demons. Go to hell ningen" and in episode 10 he is immediately back to "humans are good, humans must live".

I also don't get Koda's sudden change of heart.

p.s.: love the opening song

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Episode 10 spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I just dislike that we had Episode 9 ending with Akira going "humans are the true demons. Go to hell ningen" and in episode 10 he is immediately back to "humans are good, humans must live".

I also don't get Koda's sudden change of heart.
    Spoiler:
    I never saw it as Akira thinking that humans are the true demons. That'd be like Sensui's stupid extremism in YYH, it was mostly done to show us that humans can be JUST as bad as demons, but not necessarily worse. It was all the more of a gut punch after Miki defending Devilman, shows humanity at its best and worst. It wasn't so much as humans are better, I mean he lead on his devil army against Ryo's. It was literally just fight against Ryo cause he was the one who indirectly got his friends killed and he was the one leading the war against humans. Ultimately, I thought the message was pretty much that war has no winners.

As for Koda, he was just an opportunist that sided with whatever saved his own skin.

That was one hell of a ride.

Spoiler:
    Episode 9 is the ultimate savior of the series and makes it great I think - I think 8 and 9 together probably. If Miki didn't have those moments, I would've hated this because I've never seen a point to stories that only talk about and tell you how much humanity sucks, it's often really shallow. Instead Devilman Crybaby offers a way out. It doesn't happen, but Miki's and Akira's ideals reign supreme, even if they're dead. Akira made *Satan* feel things because of his compassion.

Humanity simply has to accept the ugly demons inside them and control them. It's kind of a simple cautionary tale under a lot of boobs and blood.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; January 9th, 2018 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    That was one hell of a ride.
    Spoiler:
    Episode 9 is the ultimate savior of the series and makes it great I think - I think 8 and 9 together probably. If Miki didn't have those moments, I would've hated this because I've never seen a point to stories that only talk about and tell you how much humanity sucks, it's often really shallow. Instead Devilman Crybaby offers a way out. It doesn't happen, but Miki's and Akira's ideals reign supreme, even if they're dead. Akira made *Satan* feel things because of his compassion.

Humanity simply has to accept the ugly demons inside them and control them. It's kind of a simple cautionary tale under a lot of boobs and blood.
    Maybe put this stuff under spoiler tags, at least for the first page of discussion? The source material is 50 years old, but this anime series is really new and came out all in one go so... for the sake of not spoiling those coming in to discuss when they're halfway through I'd keep the last few episode under spoilers for now.
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by elzhi View Post
    Spoiler:
    I never saw it as Akira thinking that humans are the true demons. That'd be like Sensui's stupid extremism in YYH, it was mostly done to show us that humans can be JUST as bad as demons, but not necessarily worse. It was all the more of a gut punch after Miki defending Devilman, shows humanity at its best and worst. It wasn't so much as humans are better, I mean he lead on his devil army against Ryo's. It was literally just fight against Ryo cause he was the one who indirectly got his friends killed and he was the one leading the war against humans. Ultimately, I thought the message was pretty much that war has no winners.

As for Koda, he was just an opportunist that sided with whatever saved his own skin.
    Spoiler:
    "You are the true demons. Go to hell, mortals!" didn't really strike me as a neutral area. I could see him later getting there, but in that moment it seemed like he was going to go full against humanity, but then his very first lines on episode 10 are him defending humanity and blaming their bad behavior on Satan confusing them with his schemes.

The series clearly goes for a neutral zone showing no race is inherently evil or good, no winners and all that, sure, but I'm talking about Akira's take here, not the series message. There is nothing in Akira in episode 10 that suggests he started seeing humans are "as bad as demons" and taken a neutral instance, all of his lines are about protecting humans, destroying demons, he even goes to scream "I'm human", abandoning his previous "I'm not a human, I'm not a demon" neutral definition. He is clearly back to the "humans are good, demons are bad" notion in the final episode, immediately after telling mortals to go to hell... I felt like I had skipped an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Spoiler:
    "You are the true demons. Go to hell, mortals!" didn't really strike me as a neutral area. I could see him later getting there, but in that moment it seemed like he was going to go full against humanity, but then his very first lines on episode 10 are him defending humanity and blaming their bad behavior on Satan confusing them with his schemes.

The series clearly goes for a neutral zone showing no race is inherently evil or good, no winners and all that, sure, but I'm talking about Akira's take here, not the series message. There is nothing in Akira in episode 10 that suggests he started seeing humans are "as bad as demons" and taken a neutral instance, all of his lines are about protecting humans, destroying demons, he even goes to scream "I'm human", abandoning his previous "I'm not a human, I'm not a demon" neutral definition. He is clearly back to the "humans are good, demons are bad" notion in the final episode, immediately after telling mortals to go to hell... I felt like I had skipped an episode.
    Spoiler:
    Ryo was specifically addressing the people that killed Miki and his friends though, not humanity in general. He's ultimately a pacifist. I mean he was pushed to his breaking point, before that he NEVER attacked humans.

Either way, he doesn't hate demons just demons that eat humans. Hell at the beginning of episode 7 when the world was in panic over demons being revealed, he tried saving a bunch that were being gunned down by the army. He wanted to wage war against Ryo because he literally instigated the war and planned on wiping out the human race. If he hated demons, he'd refuse to have demons backing him in the war. As long as the demons are "devilmen", he has no problem them.

Apologies, I edited it.

Good stuff, but definitely with the note that it contains a lot of gore and sexual content.

I probably might not have been able to sit through it if it didn't have the simplistic art style. Maybe? I sat through Berserk's eclipse, but like with that, I needed to digest it afterwards for a little bit.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; January 9th, 2018 at 12:03 PM.

There have been a couple of Devilman Ovas through the years.

Just in case anyone's curious about it I'll link in a spoiler below the infamous episode 9 scene you guys are talking about from one of those just for comparison.

Starts at roughly 1:30. Graphic content warning.
    Spoiler:

Also, if anyone is planning on reading Devilman Lady, please live record your reaction to the last 5 chapters so I can laugh a bit.

I've been familiar with the name Devilman for years, but I've never read the manga or watched the anime or OVAs.
    This was such a crazy ride. I'd say it's the best anime of the season and will probably be recognized as one of the best anime of 2018. Crybaby plays with your emotions so much and hits you hard with its tragedic themes. Very few anime have been able to get me to really cry my eyes out.

Just finished ep 5. Ok. So let me get this straight, our hero just...
    Spoiler:
    Raped Silene to death. Did I get that right?

I mean...do I have to even remotely root for Akira? He had issues in the original Devilman, but never went *that* far...

And why is no one making a fuss about it? This is the kind of stuff that puts someone straight into irredeemable territory right away.

Am I exaggerating this or what?

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Just finished ep 5. Ok. So let me get this straight, our hero just...
    Spoiler:
    Raped Silene to death. Did I get that right?

I mean...do I have to even remotely root for Akira? He had issues in the original Devilman, but never went *that* far...

And why is no one making a fuss about it? This is the kind of stuff that puts someone straight into irredeemable territory right away.

Am I exaggerating this or what?
    This is not what I saw.
    Spoiler:
    Akira goes to Silene, who is seducing him. They have consensual intercourse (Silene is pretending to be a prostitute), then Silene turns into her demon form, tries to turn Akira into Amon, they fight, Akira suffers heave damage, cuts up Silene, and almost kills her. Then the demon buddy who is in love with Silene tells her to fuse with him, they do so, but die from blood loss just as they're about to kill Akira.

This is what I saw when I watched the episode for the first time. How did you get the idea Akira raped her to death? Just, what? Akira is supposed to be falling prey to his devil instincts that tell him to rape and fuck and destroy, but he never does this to any human. And if you had a problem with him killing demons you'd have to stop at episode 1. Besides, Silene wanted to kill the human part of Akira, and make love to Amon, so it's fair game to kill her for wanting to eliminate his human side in selfdefence.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    This is not what I saw.
    Spoiler:
    Akira goes to Silene, who is seducing him. They have consensual intercourse (Silene is pretending to be a prostitute), then Silene turns into her demon form, tries to turn Akira into Amon, they fight, Akira suffers heave damage, cuts up Silene, and almost kills her. Then the demon buddy who is in love with Silene tells her to fuse with him, they do so, but die from blood loss just as they're about to kill Akira.

This is what I saw when I watched the episode for the first time. How did you get the idea Akira raped her to death? Just, what? Akira is supposed to be falling prey to his devil instincts that tell him to rape and fuck and destroy, but he never does this to any human. And if you had a problem with him killing demons you'd have to stop at episode 1. Besides, Silene wanted to kill the human part of Akira, and make love to Amon, so it's fair game to kill her for wanting to eliminate his human side in selfdefence.
    Spoiler:
    Right after Silene gets impaled by her own arm, Akira says "you want me to fuck you? Then I'll fuck you" and he starts...humping in the air. I thought it was weird and searchd on some forums, and yes, the few mentions I found were "lolz, he literally fucked her to death!", and just one guy being kinda shocked, like me.

Again, it was a super weird scene, but hey I'm not the only one who interpreted the scene like that. And I know Akira kills other demons, I've read Devilman, the original manga.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information