+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Moments of 2017

Default Best/Worst Moments of 2017

Hey guys!

So with the imminent departure of 2017, I thought it would be great to look back on the year that was and highlight the moments that stood out in the manga this year one way or another.

Here are my top ten best moments to get us started:

10. Su Long Carrot.

9. The Creation of the Allied Forces.

8. Jinbei the Helmsman.

7. Brook vs Big Mom.

6. Sanji and Luffy's Reunion.

5. Big Mom's Flashback (Yeah not technically a single moment, but deal with it)

4. Luffy Punches Big Mom.

3. Pedro's Sacrifice.

2. The Collapse of Whole Cake Chateau.

1. Charlotte Katakuri (Everything about the dude. It's hard to believe that he was only introduced this year...).

And of course with the good, comes some bad, so here are my top 5 worst moments of 2017:

5. The whole retrieve Brook from Big Mom during the night thing with challenges 1, 2 and 3.

4. The fact that chapter 876 and 885 both end with almost identical panels of Sanji. It felt incredibly lazy to reuse that ending.

3. The exact moment where they decided to bake a cake and extend he arc by 20 chapters or so.

2. Vinsmoke Judge crying at the wedding.

1. Pudding. Just in general.

And tldr, here's a video:

So yeah! Hit me with your best and worst moments of 2017!

Default Re: Best/Worst Moments of 2017

I'll do 5 instead

Top 5:

5. Pound Sacrifice- Unlike the other fake sacrifice this one worked/much more effective.

4. Luffy vs Katakuri; reveal with his Face- Funny and it worked.

3. Big Mom Flashback- Counts this together of the two chapters but I liked the stuff with her on Elbaf and her adopted family

2. Sanji and Pudding- Too many moments between the two stars of the two familys, but if you want to single one moment from either two its when Sanji tells Judge off with why he saves them or even 862.

1. Jimbei Resignation from the Big Mom Pirates- Awesome and how Jimbei does it is perfect.

Runner up/Honorable mention: Brook vs Big Mom

Worse:

5. Anything with Smoothie- Self explanitory

4. Underground members- Again not a moment but so far they really haven't done much of importance and I sorta expected more from them

3. Pedro Sacrifice- I really didn't feel anything with this, even though Pedro is a prominent character this arc but the "sacrifice" with a character barely in the arc hit much harder and sadder then Pedro.

2. First Running from Big Mom- Again not a moment but this just dragged till Pudding and co arrived even if it did have the giant bolt.

1. Chapter 862- Really just a pointless chapter besides for how we see Jimbei free them, just more going on about how Sanji is the kindness and so different then his brothers and stuff thats just boring.
    Last edited by Lord Monkey D.; December 30th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Top 5 Moments of 2017:
    5. Rescuing Brook from Big Mom's bed
    4. Katakuri's gluttony revealed
    3. Bege attacks Cacao Island
    2. Big Mom's childhood on Elbaf
    1. Jinbe piloting the Sunny through Green Room

Bottom 5 Moments of 2017:
    5. Luffy ending up on Nuts Island - not terrible, but ended up amounting to nothing
    4. Not seeing most of Brook vs. Big Mom
    3. Eggplant dude being mistaken for Sanji
    2. Pudding having a half-assed backstory to make her less evil
    1. Smoothie's appearances all amounting to her standing around or shouting in fear

Top 5 Chapters of 2017:
    5. Chapter 855 "Grummmmble!"
    4. Chapter 866 "Natural Born Destroyer"
    3. Chapter 871 "You Can Do It, Caesar!"
    2. Chapter 883 "Merienda"
    1. Chapter 878 "Mink Tribe, Guardians Captain Pedro"

Bottom 5 Chapters of 2017:
    5. Chapter 857 "Rook"
    4. Chapter 861 "Good Actor"
    3. Chapter 864 "The Vinsmoke Family Assassination Plot"
    2. Chapter 854 "What Are You Doing?"
    1. Chapter 852 "Germa's Failure"

Spoiler:

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

No particular order here:

Favorite Moments
    • The two-thirds of chapter 858 that did not focus on the girls' bath (though that did have some potentially interesting set-up lore I guess). It was comedy gold with Luffy regenerating his tooth with a glass of milk, bringing all though gold tooth/tooth gap theories to a screeching halt and the advent of Gangster Gastino. And of course, there was the moment I was looking forward to the most once the decision to ally with Capone was made in the previous chapter: everyone ('cept Sanji and Jimbei) getting really stylish, cool new outfits.
    • Jimbei giving Big Mom the verbal middle finger at the wedding.
    • Yeah, Year of Brook basically. MVP jokes aside, thanks to him snatching the Poneglyph rubbings from right out beneath Big Mom's nose has put Luffy far ahead of the pack in the race to become the Pirate King as far as we know. And of course he followed up on that by breaking the photograph unseen and ending the year with a clutch assist and an understated nice exchange with Carrot.
    • Pretty much everything Katakuri's done. Even before the reveal of his hidden vices it's great to finally have a villain who takes Luffy and co. seriously from the word go and actually has more than enough power to back up his hype and smugness, and is also smart enough to not come off as a douchebag like others from the same mold.
    • The entirety of chapter 878. You had humor in the cannonball homies, drama and character development with Luffy facing Pedro's sacrifice head on and showing maturity he didn't have pre-timeskip, Pedro passing Gold Roger's words on to Carrot, and Luffy stranding himself in the Mirror World at the end was a huge "oh shit" moment.
    • Sulong Carrot for all the expectations that were subverted. Many were expecting some kind of monstrous were-berserker like the wererabbit from the Wallace and Gromit movie, and instead we get the most Super Saiyan thing I never expected to see in One Piece and my inner 13-year-old thinks that's great!
    Least Favorite Moments
    • Luffy's filler adventure on Nuts Island.
    • Pudding's cheap back-sob-story only works with Big Mom acting glaringly out of character.
    • Sanji being the kindest guy. Yes, we know that he can be surprisingly empathetic and will ultimately always do the right thing even if it doesn't look that way at first, but it's laid on way too thickly and his long history of testy, jerkish behavior handily dilutes the message.
    • Smoothie, the third-strongest person present, spending the wedding doing nothing being yelling "Somebody do something!" when things were actively going to shit. She's an easy punching bag, but seriously. When she showed up two/three chapters ago as the "back-up fleet" you knew she wasn't going to do jack, and sure enough she's been a complete no-show.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Worst moment, chapter or whatever is by far chapter 890.

Best moments are Big Mom flashback, Pedro's sacrifice, everything about Katakuri, the Green Room.

Best moment : Su Long because it looked cute to see Carrot transformed
    Worst moment : Basically all the actions from sanji the fodder throughout this arc

Best:

3) Mont D'Or, the only Charlotte with a brain

2) Brook

1) Big Mom past

Worst:

In general, all this last part of the arc, after the explosion of tamatebako. In particular, the parts with Jinbe and Chopper are the worst.

I'll try to double check some of these to make sure they were in 2017 indeed, but for now:

1) The Year of Brook!

2) Everything Bege, from the betrayal, to coming back to rescue his wife.

3) Jinbei in general is a character that never disappoints. Pull the trigger with him already Oda!

4) Pedro

5) Katakuri

Worst:
    I wasn't of fan of Brulée's general mirror shenanigans. It felt like it was a cheap plot device to avoid confrontations that could end up making any of the parties look bad.
    Basically, neither the SH or Big Mom's crew can look bad during this arc, so Brulée Devil Fruit has been used has a convenient way to make an excuse on how the Straw Hats and allies have managed to outwit their foes.

Also, Smoothie I guess. She's just there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Worst moment, chapter or whatever is by far chapter 890.
    That's a 2018 chapter btw.

Hidden:

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

I'm not gonna rank them, but here are my thoughts.

Good:
    **Jinbei finally showing that he is a member of the Straw Hat Pirates once and for all.
    **Pound's farewell to Chiffron. He never had to chance to be a father to her, but he would have been a damn good dad.
    **Judge's breakdown. One of the most repulsive OP characters shown to be a little bitch in the end was highly satisfying.
    **Sanji getting his groove back.
    **Katakuri in general.

Bad:
    **Smoothie in general. Compared to Cracker and Katakuri, she has no presence of being one of the most intimidating pirates in the world, her DF is mediocre, and she never does anything!
    **The Mirro-World Shenanigans. You'd think with how important this power is they'd have someone strong guard Brulee so this wouldn't happen.
    **Jinbei not officially being a member yet before the 20th anniversary ends.
    **The process of getting the cake to Big Mom is definitely dragging on.

There's waaaay too many good moments to list from this year though. Not even gonna attempt to list them. Pudding, Brook, Nami, Katakuri, and Peros stole the show for me though.

Only bad ones I can think of are Jobbin Bobbin, Sanji almost giving in to Pudding just before the wedding, and Judge being a crybaby. And to a lesser degree Pedro sacrificing himself. Just seemed like an excuse to remove Pedro from the plot without having any real consequence.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

So many standout moments.

Everything Pudding.

The Luffy speech to Sanji and Nami slapping him.

That spread of Praline singing was just wow.

Luffy showing some maturity and acting like a real captain when shit hit the fan was badass. The mirror smash was so hype, it's a shame he got his ass handed to him though in the chapters that followed.

That brings me onto Katakuri, I know Big Mom is supposed to be the big bad of the arc and it is her arc but her second son omg his calm demeanour, the way he talks in such a cocky manner, his foresight which ultimately does nothing major but at least serves to hype up his lines. He has been shown to be the worthy adversary we've all been waiting to see in the new world but unlike Jack who is cool too but is an ass, Katakuri is actually really likeable and his donut fetish, NO ONE saw that coming. Year of Katakuri for me tbh, again it's a shame his role will eventually become a story of times gone past.

The focus on the weaklings getting their individual moments to shine. Nami's Zeus thunderbolt that halted fat Big Mom momentarily. I have been really impressed by Nami and she has leapfrogged Robin in my personal favourites. I love how Big Mom refers to brook as Soul King as if she has respect for him. When Brook called her young lady that was hyyype af.

Carrot. Sulong. Pedro's speech to Her.

Perospero's design and creative use of his powers.

Bege becoming one of the best supernovas when previously he was, let's face it, near the bottom of everyone's list. He's provide a lot of comedy goal and without his presence we wouldn't have Gangster Gastino. Nuff said.

Now onto the bad:

Luffy conveniently finding Brulee lounging around in mirror world.

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Judge crying was great imo. All his dreams crumbled to the ground and he and his family was going to be killed because off his fault and he's shocked he's the only one who wants to live. Just great to see him break down even if its reasonable and not oda trying to say "crying is for pussies"

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Top 5 Moments of 2017:
    5. Rescuing Brook from Big Mom's bed
    4. Katakuri's gluttony revealed
    3. Bege attacks Cacao Island
    2. Big Mom's childhood on Elbaf
    1. Jinbe piloting the Sunny through Green Room

Bottom 5 Moments of 2017:
    5. Luffy ending up on Nuts Island - not terrible, but ended up amounting to nothing
    4. Not seeing most of Brook vs. Big Mom
    3. Eggplant dude being mistaken for Sanji
    2. Pudding having a half-assed backstory to make her less evil
    1. Smoothie's appearances all amounting to her standing around or shouting in fear

Top 5 Chapters of 2017:
    5. Chapter 855 "Grummmmble!"
    4. Chapter 866 "Natural Born Destroyer"
    3. Chapter 871 "You Can Do It, Caesar!"
    2. Chapter 883 "Merienda"
    1. Chapter 878 "Mink Tribe, Guardians Captain Pedro"

Bottom 5 Chapters of 2017:
    5. Chapter 857 "Rook"
    4. Chapter 861 "Good Actor"
    3. Chapter 864 "The Vinsmoke Family Assassination Plot"
    2. Chapter 854 "What Are You Doing?"
    1. Chapter 852 "Germa's Failure"
    What were your issues with 852 and 854 as chapters
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    What were your issues with 852 and 854 as chapters
    854 had the Big Mom Pirates meeting where they made some pretty weird decisions, and 852 had too much Sanji flashback and not enough Brook. None of the chapters this year were wholesale offensive, but those ones felt the weakest.

Spoiler:

Best.- Everything about Katakuri
    Worst.- Everything about Sanji
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Shobu Yoruichi View Post
    Best.- Everything about Katakuri
    Worst.- Everything about Sanji
    what about that moment when katakuri had direct contact with Sanji though? (when he shot his mochi gun to Sanji on the wedding)
    did that count as best moment or worst moment?

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBi View Post
    what about that moment when katakuri had direct contact with Sanji though? (when he shot his mochi gun to Sanji on the wedding)
    did that count as best moment or worst moment?
    Nice question there.
    I suppose worst, because Luffy is in the middle.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Shobu Yoruichi View Post
    Nice question there.
    I suppose worst, because Luffy is in the middle.
    I'm trying my best to understand your answer here but I'm hopelessly at a loss. What does Luffy have to do with Sanji evading Katakuri's bean shot? can you enlighten me please?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Would you like a Blast?
    100000000000000 Berries please.
    Blasting Destinations: Gotham city, Jaya, central perk, E. R.

Best- BM's Flashback

Worst-The cake plot
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

Best: -Chapter 863 (Brook smashing the photo, Jinbei standing up to Big Mom, and various other goodies)
    -The Luffy vs. Katakuri fight as a whole

Worst: Everything between the Book Prison escape and the meetup with Capone (except for the parts with Brook, Pedro, and Big Mom).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information