+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Moments of 2017

Default Re: Best/Worst Moments of 2017

Worst parts:

1/ "We will now interrupt this broadcast to show you the baking of ANOTHER cake!!!!" and everything that's been hapening until then. The escape is lasting more than the rest of the arc ffs
    2/ The Vinsmokes getting more screentime than they deserve.
    3/ Bigmom being kicked out of the

Best parts:
    1/ Bigmom eating the children without any graphic shit.
    2/ Pudding the troll, and Sanji seeing her
    3/ Praline, and everything about her
    4/ Jimbei telling Bigmom she's a mere yonkou
    5/ Bobbins killing his own hype in 2pages

Future Disappointment Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Today's anime episode reminded me of another top event of 2017: Tamago's Devil Fruit.

That shit is absolutely ridiculous and I love it. Plus Niwatori is the most regal-looking chicken I've ever seen. Only downside is that we saw its abilities in action for about 1 total manga page. I'm hoping we see the BMPs for the sole reason of seeing true knight Count Niwatori kick some featherless butt

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BroBro View Post
    Fixed it for ya mate
    Oh lol, thanks.

The chase started after the bomb blew up and big mom got angry which was the end of chapter 872. So it's been about 18 chapters at worst and the arc is nearly 70.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Late to join but my favourite Moment was

-Luffy saying he isn't going to be able to become pirate king without Sanji
    -Luffy actually really not eating anything unless it's cooked by Sanji
    -Pedro sacrifice
    -Jinbei basically all of his appearance were amazing
    -Brook vs Big Mom

The worst is kind of basic to me and may be unpopular opinion but here it is

Pudding all of her actually
    Big Mom past which just proved how psychopath she is
    Big mom family, i really found them overpowered and looking like bad and strong but aside of dogtooth i have no interest or remembrance of any members

That's pretty much sums up this year arc, i always thought big mom wasn't much of a yonko, and i was kinda right, all she did was actually eating people which is frightening in a kind of way, she might be strong in a way but as a character she isn't interesting, the fact she eats people is even more disgusting no matter the way she does it, dogtooth is the only member to actually keep up the suspens otherwise i felt a little bored at some moment during this arc, now i'm really waiting for it to end so we can have finally wano and reverie!
    I don't care what the society says. I've regretted doing anything. I will survive and do what I want to.
    Roronoa Zoro

Quote Originally Posted by Shobu Yoruichi View Post
    Cause the equation about what the best and worst, without a doubt, Luffy is in the worst group.
    Lately, everything that Luffy does, it makes the plot go for the worse, and there you have it putting a scenario where mah boi Katakuri couldn't do a thing to prevent it.
    So, even Katakuri greatness can't take over Luffy + Sanji failness.
    What planet are you from buddy? on The planet where my kin and I watch OP these event are not correlated. It may be related to the intergalactic wave length and jet lag. Yes, that must be it. Your explanation got distorted half way through. Sorry m8 but I honestly can't understand the correlation
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Would you like a Blast?
    100000000000000 Berries please.
    Blasting Destinations: Gotham city, Jaya, central perk, E. R.

Quote Originally Posted by STP_PS View Post
    What planet are you from buddy? on The planet where my kin and I watch OP these event are not correlated. It may be related to the intergalactic wave length and jet lag. Yes, that must be it. Your explanation got distorted half way through. Sorry m8 but I honestly can't understand the correlation
    If you find good the path of ignorance and mediocrity, good for you buddy. I won't stop you, nor your planet <3

Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

It took me all this time to gather enough energy to look exactly when 2017 started for OP. Chapter 851 it was, according to the 2016 thread.

So, the good:
    Whole Cake Island - Despite how much I liked BM and her crew, this arc was a huge mess. Oda seemed to have an idea of where he wanted to go and he knew he had to build things up to that point, but he didn't really knew how nor seemed to have any will to invest himself in doing the progress to that point be interesting, so the story was full of contrived coincidences, absurdities, characters acting stupidly... well, bad writing to put it simply.
    Or at least that was until the wedding finally took place. That was when the arc got to where Oda apparently wanted to get and suddenly everything sky rocketed and the arc finally started to shine. I usually think OP arcs become much less interesting once the action starts, but damn I am loving WCI now. Be it Luffy x Katakury, the Sunny running away, or whatever, I am interesting in everything that is going on and if Oda wants to take a hundred chapters to end this I am totally fine.

Pudding - Good Pudding was easily the less interesting character in this arc. She was eye-rolling level of cringe with all her perfection, good willingness, empathy... she just irked me to a point even Rebecca and Shirahoshi couldn't get and the fact everyone else surrounding her was great just made it worse. Then it happened. Bad Pudding seemed kind of a stretch, coming too late to be actually believable, but I don't care, she was saved as a character. And the new In Love Pudding is even better.

Katakuri - OP went a long way since Lucci was presented and I abhorred him because I thought he meant OP was saying goodbye to quirk crazy times and entering the all serious smug times. Now I now a villain can be like that without presenting any danger to the series, and then I can enjoy the said character by him actually standing out in the craziness that is OP universe. Nowadays I can finally like Lucci, and I definitely fell in love with Katakuri even before his donuts reveal. His mad max in pink design, his non-bullshit behavior is just so legitimately badass that he. just. works. And all that without never crossing the line and becoming boring (well, the donuts reveal definitely granted he would never cross it).

Big Mom - The woman managed to enter my list of most favorite characters in OP and, if she keeps going, Buggy's throne might be in danger for the first time since ever. I will not talk much about her because I am saving it for when the arc is over. The only thing I disliked about her this year was the time she regressed from an actual character to just a depersonalized impending danger roaming around, but thank god that's over already.

Bege - When I saw this one old guy among all the good looking young supernovae, I was sure he was gonna get the short end of the stick. And for some years it seemed I was right. But, man, did this arc made Bege an endearing character. Easily my favorite supernova at this point - and the best part? He is still the same asshole he was before, Oda managed to make us love this guy without ever redeeming himself (even though he got his qualities).

The bad:
    Sanji - Continuing 2016, I am genuinely amazed by how much I dislike Sanji's backstory and how much that affected my feelings about him.
    Since the timeskip, there wasn't any moment of Sanji that I liked (not talking about epic moments, but Sanji always had fun moments that I liked), but somehow he managed to become even less appealing after his background was revealed. Everything about Germa and the Vinsmokes is so incredibly boring and off-putting to me that somehow I started liking Sanji less by proxy.
    Also, it's not that I am one of those who think Sanji was wrong in doing things the way he did (much was discussed about it since last year, and most of the time I was on his side), but whatever he does or says now seems so... empty, it's like there is zero soul in that character so I can be interested in him. To me, Sanji is currently a character that actually robs the fun from OP whenever he is on.

Opera - He is the face of the most retarded nonsensical bit of this arc, the part that definitely seems like Oda is saying "I don't know how to make this work in a proper way, so I will just do whatever and fuck this shit". I get increasingly angry the more I think about it.

The Gastino:
    Gastino - Sure he seems like a ripoff of Caesar, kinda like when Oda apparently couldn't properly deal with getting rid of Ace so had to set up Ace 2.0 to replace him. But while Gastino may look exactly like Caesar and have all his quirks, he manages to be just as captivating. He may be a copy, but he is just as loveable as the original... how did Oda pulled that out? I don't know!
    Last edited by .access timeco.; January 12th, 2018 at 09:13 AM.
    FC.0147-0584-2654

If you find good the path of ignorance and mediocrity, good for you buddy. I won't stop you, nor your planet <3
    In your reply you didn't even tell me the reason why they are related. So how am I suppose to get out of my blissful ignorance if my alien comrades don't give me a hand?. Can you please trace the path as to why those events are linked? I would appreciate the effort immensely
    Last edited by STP_PS; January 10th, 2018 at 06:31 PM.

Would you like a Blast?

Quote Originally Posted by STP_PS View Post
    In your reply you didn't even tell me the reason why they are related. So how am I suppose to get out of my blissful ignorance if my alien comrades don't give me a hand?. Can you please trace the path as to why those events are linked? I would appreciate the effort immensely
    Yep xd no problem there.

When Sanji dodged Katakuri's bullet, the very first instance for Katakuri to react like that was cause he saw Pudding falling on her knees... so the battle between those two could perfectly continue, and that it would've been interesting, without a doubt. The problem lies that Katakuri didn't continue for one reason, to alert Big Mom about Luffy coming out from the cake, and then the spotlight went to him for the cliffhanger needed to end the chapter.

That is why, Luffy is the equation of failness, he stopped a situation much more better than the one he was doing. Not the situation per se, must add, but the entire chain of events that were needed to make it, and the events forecoming too.

Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Yep xd no problem there.

When Sanji dodged Katakuri's bullet, the very first instance for Katakuri to react like that was cause he saw Pudding falling on her knees... so the battle between those two could perfectly continue, and that it would've been interesting, without a doubt. The problem lies that Katakuri didn't continue for one reason, to alert Big Mom about Luffy coming out from the cake, and then the spotlight went to him for the cliffhanger needed to end the chapter.

That is why, Luffy is the equation of failness, he stopped a situation much more better than the one he was doing. Not the situation per se, must add, but the entire chain of events that were needed to make it, and the events forecoming too.
    It would've been interesting, but Sanji would have gotten wrecked very quickly.

Katakuri would show Sanji why his kicks are superior lol

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Yep xd no problem there.

Thank you for your thorough explanation, it served me plenty to overcome my ignorance. Now, After reaching a mutual ground of enlightenment I could argue that since our COO is not as advanced as Katakuris we would have been unable to foresee the caliber of such other path let alone its virtue (Katakuri and Sanji going against each other head on), hence labeling Lufy as a fail by proxy is unfair and bigoted to boot. Katakuri threw a projectile at Sanji (beans or what not) because he was far away and in a tough angle to get another attack going without it being too noticeable. But it wasn't Luffy per se that got in his way, you can blame Katakuri's future sight ability. In words of Perospero " The future-seeing man is quite busy" and in this instance it played against him.

Would you like a Blast?

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    The bad:
    Sanji - Continuing 2016, I am genuinely amazed by how much I dislike Sanji's backstory and how much that affected my feelings about him.
    Since the timeskip, there wasn't any moment of Sanji that I liked (not talking about epic moments, but Sanji always had fun moments that I liked), but somehow he managed to become even less appealing after his background was revealed. Everything about Germa and the Vinsmokes is so incredibly boring and off-putting to me that somehow I started liking Sanji less by proxy.
    Also, it's not that I am one of those who think Sanji was wrong in doing things the way he did (much was discussed about it since last year, and most of the time I was on his side), but whatever he does or says now seems so... empty, it's like there is zero soul in that character so I can be interested in him. To me, Sanji is currently a character that actually robs the fun from OP whenever he is on.

Opera - He is the face of the most retarded nonsensical bit of this arc, the part that definitely seems like Oda is saying "I don't know how to make this work in a proper way, so I will just do whatever and fuck this shit". I get increasingly angry the more I think about it.
    "Zero soul in that character" is such a bloody brilliantly accurate description of what's off-putting about new Sanji that it deserves its own award!

The problem for me is that for some insane reason, Sanji has had ZERO agency in what was supposed to be his own arc. I.e., he's been a passenger nearly the entire time--getting directed here and there and reacting to the things happening rather than actually deciding on his own path or otherwise causing things to happen. His backstory and Jesus complex throughout this arc rings COMPLETELY hollow.

And yes, there is ample evidence that Oda was more interested in getting to the wedding than actually setting it up. I mean, has it even been explained how a scrub like Judge has enough pull with the World Government to get them to alter a wanted poster for a notorious pirate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dranza View Post
    Katakuri would show Sanji why his kicks are superior lol
    even someone like vergo has stronger kick than Sanji. Katakuri would demolish sanji

Quote Originally Posted by Sirxxx View Post
    "Zero soul in that character" is such a bloody brilliantly accurate description of what's off-putting about new Sanji that it deserves its own award!

The problem for me is that for some insane reason, Sanji has had ZERO agency in what was supposed to be his own arc. I.e., he's been a passenger nearly the entire time--getting directed here and there and reacting to the things happening rather than actually deciding on his own path or otherwise causing things to happen. His backstory and Jesus complex throughout this arc rings COMPLETELY hollow.
    I think his backstory and ideals are fine, but I agree that "zero soul" describes how he feels in his current state and that he's taken a back seat when he should be the one driving the arc. I just can't get invested in his story.

The biggest problem is that I don't feel he's gained anything from this arc, and that there isn't really anything he can gain. Him having a deeper past has been hinted for ages, and his character has been stagnant since the time skip so an arc focused around him and his past is exactly what he needed. But it just doesn't feel like it changed anything. Even Carrot has had more development, with events like leaving her home country and Pedro's death (and he better stay dead) evolving her character. And we readers learned of her awesome full moon powers. Sanji and his whole family are completely overshadowed by Big Mom's colorful crew. When the crew leaves Whole Cake Island, what will Sanji have learned?

Feels a little early to pass judgement on Sanjis role and development in the Arc before its finished?

People are just judging characters role and development for last year, its fine

Future Disappointment Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I think his backstory and ideals are fine, but I agree that "zero soul" describes how he feels in his current state and that he's taken a back seat when he should be the one driving the arc. I just can't get invested in his story.

The biggest problem is that I don't feel he's gained anything from this arc, and that there isn't really anything he can gain. Him having a deeper past has been hinted for ages, and his character has been stagnant since the time skip so an arc focused around him and his past is exactly what he needed. But it just doesn't feel like it changed anything. Even Carrot has had more development, with events like leaving her home country and Pedro's death (and he better stay dead) evolving her character. And we readers learned of her awesome full moon powers. Sanji and his whole family are completely overshadowed by Big Mom's colorful crew. When the crew leaves Whole Cake Island, what will Sanji have learned?
    While I don't entirely disagree, there is one thing Sanji has definitely learned in this arc - I'm having a bit of trouble putting it into words, but essentially letting go of his pride and accepting help from others even if it might put them at risk. There's a very fine line between that and recklessly putting your comrades in danger, but given how Sanji was so prideful in this arc that he couldn't even tell Luffy why he wished to stay on Whole Cake Island, it's something he really needed to learn. And this has been a thing for the entire series, even if the consequences haven't always been as bad: he let Pearl beat him up on Baratie while Zeff was held hostage, he infiltrated the Cipher Pol Sea Train by himself, and he insisted on going to save the Sunny on Dressrosa by himself. In its best instance, he wanted to confront Kuma before Zoro knocked him out and did it instead. But after it reached its low point on Whole Cake Island, he seems to have learned after his confession to Luffy, and made that clear when he left his crew to face Big Mom while he went and made the cake.

Of course, we'll have to see if that lesson lasts beyond this arc, but I'd consider it a pretty good lesson.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    While I don't entirely disagree, there is one thing Sanji has definitely learned in this arc - I'm having a bit of trouble putting it into words, but essentially letting go of his pride and accepting help from others even if it might put them at risk. There's a very fine line between that and recklessly putting your comrades in danger, but given how Sanji was so prideful in this arc that he couldn't even tell Luffy why he wished to stay on Whole Cake Island, it's something he really needed to learn. And this has been a thing for the entire series, even if the consequences haven't always been as bad: he let Pearl beat him up on Baratie while Zeff was held hostage, he infiltrated the Cipher Pol Sea Train by himself, and he insisted on going to save the Sunny on Dressrosa by himself. In its best instance, he wanted to confront Kuma before Zoro knocked him out and did it instead. But after it reached its low point on Whole Cake Island, he seems to have learned after his confession to Luffy, and made that clear when he left his crew to face Big Mom while he went and made the cake.

Of course, we'll have to see if that lesson lasts beyond this arc, but I'd consider it a pretty good lesson.
    That's a good point. Unfortunately that pride is one of the things I really like about him, it makes him an interesting character.

But it's better if the series is consistent, so I hope he doesn't revert back later. Hopefully Oda can find a good balance where he's still prideful, but doesn't recklessly put himself in danger (at least not without consulting Luffy).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Feels a little early to pass judgement on Sanjis role and development in the Arc before its finished?
    I think we've seen enough to form some early opinions. There doesn't seem to be much left of the arc, and unless Oda pulls a really nice twist I don't think my opinion is going to change. And for this year in particular Sanji's arc has been lacking.

But now that I've talked bad about Sanji, here's one thing I really, really liked. It's right at the beginning of the year so it counts.

Spoiler:

My favorite scene this entire arc. It's heartbreaking.

It ties in with what Kaido said too. His pride has been utterly crushed and it culminates in him admitting he wants to go back. So I guess the first month or two were great for Sanji, but after that he (along with the Germa) took a back seat while everyone else got to do fun stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information