Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Promised Neverland

Default The Promised Neverland

The Promised Neverland

Genre: Shounen, Action, Fantasy, Tragedy
    Authors: Kaiu Shirai & Posuka Demizu
    Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Publisher: Shueisha
    Description: Emma and her friends have pretty good life at the orphanage they grew up in. Though the rules may be strict, the caretaker is kind. But why are the children forbidden from ever leaving...?

first chapter

http://mangastream.com/r/neverland/001/3577/1

Default Re: The Promised Neverland

This first chapter is almost exactly the same as Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    This first chapter is almost exactly the same as Godspeed
    My thought is exactly same.

But, I'm hearing some people are saying it is similar as Shingeki no Kyojin. I wonder where they got that idea from.

The whole trapped in a seclusion while inhuman monsters rule outside theme.
    It actually reminded me of beginning of Owari no seraph, with orphans escaping from monsters and whatnot.

I thought the first chapter was pretty intense and gripping with some very likable and sympathetic characters. My only hope is it doesn't devolve into too edgey for me tropes of murder and spends time focusing on fleshing out characters an strategies.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

the concept isn't exactly new.
    So now its all up to where Kaiu takes the story.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    I thought the first chapter was pretty intense and gripping with some very likable and sympathetic characters. My only hope is it doesn't devolve into too edgey for me tropes of murder and spends time focusing on fleshing out characters an strategies.
    Doesn't become like cough-Attack on Titan-cough

Very good first chapter. I have high hopes about this one.<br>
    I hope Viz picks it up beyond the jump start round.

I bet this will end with them befriending an eccentric rich monster and gaining pet status to travel around.

Yea, it reminds me too of the orphan escape attempt from Owari no Seraph. Interesting start; looking forward to the next chapter. And the artist is pretty good.

Interesting story, looking forward for the next chapters. I suppose until they escape from the "farm" we won't get to see what's going on outside, but there was an eiffel tower picture and the exam machines didn't look very futuristic, so we could guess it's set in the near future in our world?

It said 2045 on the calendar on the last page, I think?

Yeah it says 2045

For me, it reminds me Godspeed (as Kdom mentioned) and The Island.

Kinda of Similar to Never Let Me Go (Novel,2005) By Kazuo Ishiguro

I too wanna ride a giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    For me, it reminds me Godspeed (as Kdom mentioned) and The Island.
    The island is closer, the shingeki comparation is all about the wall and the fact that the kids are cattle, while eren and the setting put the humans in the walls as cattle.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    The island is closer, the shingeki comparation is all about the wall and the fact that the kids are cattle, while eren and the setting put the humans in the walls as cattle.
    I think it is bit different. There are plenty of series which the characters stuck inside the somewhere (inside the wall or the orphanage or whatever). It is more of the characters were unknown about what's happening outside and they were unknowingly stuck inside (like this series, Godspeed, and The Island). For SnK's case, the characters are already well known what's happening outside world, that's why they decide to build the wall to protect themselves.

Furthermore, those characters are actually allowed to leave one at a time hoping they going to have happy ending (SnK is more of going out side to fight against the titans).

Finally, the characters from SnK (and Koutetsu-jou no Kabaneri) already well known about what's happening outside, so already have prepared themselves to fight against their enemy. On the other hand, for this series, their world is suddenly broken and the characters were forced put in the situation for survival within limited amount of time. That's a big difference.
    Last edited by Kaizou 10; August 2nd, 2016 at 05:09 AM.

Not bad. But it's a lot more darker than most Jump series... Very familiar setting.

I don't think all the 30+ kids will be livestock though. The education system probably has a role in it. The girl that got killed mentioned how she couldn't understand most of the questions. So, she's not all that smart.
    The fact that all of them will leave the home by 12. But our 3 heroes are still around for a reason despite being the oldest...and a younger one was sent off to harvest.
    I think the smarter one will be the "pedigree prized pets" for the demon while the lesser intelligent will be "livestock".
    If you want to sustain livestock, you will need to take into account breeding too...
    The smarter one breed more nutrious offspring...so yeah...

Ps i'm looking at this from raising livestock perspective. So i know it messed up! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    Ps i'm looking at this from raising livestock perspective. So i know it messed up! Lol
    It's funny, because what most of people who raises livestock search is how to have their animals to grow at adult size at an early age.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information