+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: History enthusiasts

Default Re: History enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

Still haven't read that much about US history though. But that's mostly cause i haven't really stumbled over any interesting books yet.
    Good read right here.
    Sort of a rough analysis of US history from early to now as a development of multiple founding fragments based on various coastal colonizations (for the most part) rather than a history of the US of one country formed from those fragments. As in the fragments never went away.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Don't forget the Mongol conquest. That was sort of a new thing among all the monotony of rise and fall of dynasties that was so in line with traditional chinese philosophy. Damn, the Mongols broke basically everything, didn't they?
    Actually funnily enough they didn't. They folded directly into the Chinese system when they conquered it, the Yuan Dynasty is generally counted among the official dynasties by historians. Same with the Qing dynasty later which was also founded by invading nomads.
    Classic case of a powerful civilization being far stronger than even military defeat, the conqurers adapt to the culture they physically took over.

Where the hell are you from?
    India.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Good read right here.
    Sort of a rough analysis of US history from early to now as a development of multiple founding fragments based on various coastal colonizations (for the most part) rather than a history of the US of one country formed from those fragments. As in the fragments never went away.

Actually funnily enough they didn't. They folded directly into the Chinese system when they conquered it, the Yuan Dynasty is generally counted among the official dynasties by historians. Same with the Qing dynasty later which was also founded by invading nomads.
    Classic case of a powerful civilization being far stronger than even military defeat, the conqurers adapt to the culture they physically took over.

India.
    Your actually Indian (not Native Americans)? I always thought your a white person
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Your actually Indian (not Native Americans)? I always thought your a white person
    He was asking where Xan was from and I answered where Xan was from, which is India.
    Yes I'm white.

He was asking where Xan was from and I answered where Xan was from, which is India.
    Yes I'm white.
    Did not read the whole thing. Never mind.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    I like art history, it's really cool like little photographs into the past.
    I don't have much insight into the subject, but I was wikipediaing the "Dutch golden age" a while ago and was super impressed with their paintings. Like, the rest of Europe was producing mostly religious, "historical" and idealized paintings, but the Dutch folks were painting like everyday stuff and more realistically than they had any business to be. Read a theory that they've might have been using camera obscuras, which would be so rad.

Some examples for those interested, large images ahoy:
    Hidden:

Gerrit Adriaensz Berckheyde, Haarlem

HIGHRES: 2,303 × 1,778 pixels

Esaias van de Velde, Winter Landscape

HIGHRES: 4,921 × 4,226 pixels

Salomon van Ruisdael, Deventer

HIGHRES: 5,030 × 3,381 pixels

A bunch of illiterate horse dudes vs an advanced bureaucracy.

It wasn't really any other way it could've gone.

A bunch of illiterate horse dudes vs an advanced bureaucracy.

It wasn't really any other way it could've gone.
    Hypothetically if the original Turks had run into the Byzantine Empire from straight out if the steppe they would have turned into straight up Greeks.
    But by the time they conquered Anatolia and the Balkans and evolved into Turks as we know them they ha already encountered one of those strong ass ancient civs, the Persians.
    (not that Turkish culture doesn't have hella Greek attributes, but they lean Persia definitely).

Balkan is also sort of a blank spot. Other than the parts where they interlap with Austria it's all a bit fuzzy.

But i've borrowed a little pocket book simply called the history of the Balkans. Should be a decent start.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Hypothetically if the original Turks had run into the Byzantine Empire from straight out if the steppe they would have turned into straight up Greeks.
    But by the time they conquered Anatolia and the Balkans and evolved into Turks as we know them they ha already encountered one of those strong ass ancient civs, the Persians.
    (not that Turkish culture doesn't have hella Greek attributes, but they lean Persia definitely).
    Not only that, the Christian Empire's control over hinterland Anatolia was straight up shattered and the place was opened up for Turk settlers. Then, in 1204, Latin Europe did its most fucked up foreign relations coup by that point in time and sacked Constantinople, devastating any chance the Empire had to get back on its feet... *sigh*

Regarding India's history... that's one of my weakest subjects. It really is a really long, messy, interconnecting history and I still have a long way to go before I delve into it. China, like you said, was surprisingly simple. The Mongol Yuan Dynasty was indeed considered to have the mandate of Heaven and integrated mostly into the dynastic succession, but the Han people still considered themselves to be under foreign rule. That was why the following Ming took a very xenophobic and isolationist policy (despite the interactions with my ancestors. Maybe not my ancestors, I think they were always farmers in the mountains. Still portuguese, though).

Balkan is also sort of a blank spot. Other than the parts where they interlap with Austria it's all a bit fuzzy.

But i've borrowed a little pocket book simply called the history of the Balkans. Should be a decent start.
    I recently read "The Balkans" by Mark Mazower. It tells the history of the peninsula from classical Ottoman times to the present day, basically. It's most of what we need to know to understand the current state of the place, although I would like to know what happened further back in time. But I suspect I will get to see that as I keep studying Roman History. I'm currently in the late 700s, in the reign of Irene, with the Bulgars already setting up shop around the Danube and the mountains filled with slavs.

The Portoguese plop up alot in Asia, and you get a decent handle on what they were doing abroad.

But i haven't really read much about what happend within the nation itself. Any good reads to suggest there Chrior?

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

The Portoguese plop up alot in Asia, and you get a decent handle on what they were doing abroad.

But i haven't really read much about what happend within the nation itself. Any good reads to suggest there Chrior?
    You want a good book to sum up portuguese History? I will ask a friend of mine who is an actual History buff. I haven't read much since I got sick of it in school.

It's a pretty straightforward thing, though. Visigoths settle Roman Spain, rule a more or less cohesive kingdom until 711(?), Arabs conquer Gothic Spain, rule a more or less cohesive "golden age" emirate/caliphate for a while, Latin European (mainly Frankish) military monastic orders arrive to crusade against the muslims, the peninsula is split religiously north/south for a while, but both sides are split in petty kingdoms/counties/duchies/emirates, whatever. Slowly, the northern christians win out over the muslims. One day, a burgundian knight by the name of Henrique earns the county of Portucale, a name which would degrade into Portugal (former name of the city of Porto where I live, then given to the county that stretched from the Minho to the Douro rivers, in southern Galicia). His son eventually leads a revolt and breaks away from the kingdom of León, elevating himself to king of Portugal. He sets out to fight the muslims, gets lucky with the circumstances, with the big Moroccan power being crushed by united christian fronts in Spain. Basically conquers the entire territory of modern Portugal in his lifetime (only the Algarve was left for his son to conquer). After that, the kingdom stayed basically the same. A small backward rural corner of Europe. Somewhere in the 1400s, the royal family patronaged sea voyages, rounding Africa to reach India and establishing the first big european commercial empire. The small population of the country didn't allow it to project its power adequately, and along with mismanagement, led to the golden age being stolen by Spain and Holland. The rest of this country's significance is tied to general european History. Except Brazil. I forgot that.

But I'll see if I find a good book for you. Can you recommend a good one for Sweden? I don't know much about Scandinavia, actually. Was surprised when I found Sweden built an empire and deeply involved itself in mainland politics somwhere in the modern age.

Latin European (mainly Frankish) military monastic orders arrive to crusade against the muslims
    I never made the connection that the Reconquista was mostly thanks to the frankish empire, spanish history lessons barely talk about pre-sucession war stuff and the reconquista part was simply taught to me as "spain was conquered by muslims but they didn't completely conquer Asturias so there insurrections started and the land was taken back and many new kingdoms appeared". Well at least that's how they teach here in Galicia, I guess in Aragon, Cataluña,.. they talk more about the frankish empire.

You want a good book to sum up portuguese History? I will ask a friend of mine who is an actual History buff. I haven't read much since I got sick of it in school.
    Oh please do. Books about specific events or general overview, as long as it's interesting i'm up for it.

It's always interesting to read in-depth about the big events of each nation.

But I'll see if I find a good book for you. Can you recommend a good one for Sweden? I don't know much about Scandinavia, actually. Was surprised when I found Sweden built an empire and deeply involved itself in mainland politics somwhere in the modern age.
    Well most of the stuff that gets translated is revolving about the Swedish empire or Gustavus Adolphus, which, to be fair, is pretty interesting stuff really. Voltaire wrote a pretty good biography about Carolus Rex which by extension covers Peter the great, August the strong, the great nordic war, the exile in Istanbul and the fall of the empire.

Personally i've found the age of liberty to be quite interesting. It's back in 1718 when the monarchy was replaced by a parlament represented by the four estates of nobility, burgesses, peasant and clergy. Pretty interesting stuff, but it's probably hard to come by English language sources.

But for an overview i think a concise history of Sweden by Neil Kent gives you the gist of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by akagami7 View Post
    I never made the connection that the Reconquista was mostly thanks to the frankish empire, spanish history lessons barely talk about pre-sucession war stuff and the reconquista part was simply taught to me as "spain was conquered by muslims but they didn't completely conquer Asturias so there insurrections started and the land was taken back and many new kingdoms appeared". Well at least that's how they teach here in Galicia, I guess in Aragon, Cataluña,.. they talk more about the frankish empire.
    Well France is right above the Iberian peninsula, that they would contribute (or some among them rather) to a neighboring war against something they definitely saw as invasive is really not very surprising if you think about it.
    France has always intervened in Spain throughout history.

the exile in the Ottoman empire
    I always found this one pretty hilarious. It's basically a way too confident for his current means king Carl XII mooching of and badgering Achmed III to start a war with Russia, he kept doing this for like four years until the latter had enough of him and tried to forcibly expel him and his cossacks. At which point they and a couple of hundred Turks duked it out in something similar to a large, fortified farmhouse.

But eh, i guess it's not as fun if you don't get to watch the play.

I don't have that much knowledge on history, but this thread has been an interesting read so far!

What's everyone's favourite historical sites/monuments? I've had a big book on world heritage sites since I was a child and I've always loved the Derinkuyu underground city, located in Turkey. Basically a massive Fallout vault that housed 20,000 Christians persecuted by Muslims. People do some amazing stuff for their religion sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derink...derground_city

Can someone put a summary of Japanese History, citing the eras and daimyos?

Another thing I like in history is those "mysteries" about historical events, and the thrill you feel to investigate the past to know the answer, reading books or researching old materials.

In my country, Who killed Vladimir Herzog, Ulisses Guimarães and PC Farias, events that happened in the past but we still don´t know the answer. At least we know what really happened to JK.

Monuments/historical sites I like ? When I was a kid I had a book about monuments from the world and I really liked Taj Mahal, the statues from easter islands and the Stonehenge.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Can someone put a summary of Japanese History, citing the eras and daimyos?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Japan

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Man, compared to Europe, Japan was kinda having a good time during the Dark Age.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information