+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Default Re: Vinland Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    I'll be honest and add that I was a bit off put by the eye's in Vinland, and that mild judgement has delayed me from reading an awesome series.

When I get some free time, i'm definitely gonna sit down with this one.
    It's worth your time.

I think Canute will die in Thorfinn's hands.
    Last edited by Sea; December 9th, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

sea i agree a hundred percent with you the eyes bugged me a bit too i don't mind big shiny eyes but they don't really seem to fit in with the more realistic style of the rest of his art
    i like brook he gives me a bone-er haha skull joke

Shipmate

You're mistaken, Sea.

Vinland Saga and it's main character, Thorfinn, are loosely based on the accounts from the real Vinland Saga, Saga of Eric the Red. Thorfinn Karlsefni, an explorer who tried to settle Greenland, went onto his expedition in the very beginning of the 11th century.
    And here's the deal: in Denmark's history there were two kings by the name of Sweyn who were succeeded by sons named C(a)nut(e). Sweyn Forkbeard was succeeded by his son Harald while his other son Cnut was conquering England. It's precisely the situation we have now in the manga - Askellad killed Sweyn, Harald became king of Denamrk and Canute conquers Mercia. While Sweyn II and his son Canute IV lived in the latter half of the 11th century.
    However, Yukimura, moved the events a little: real Throfinn went to Greenland during the reign of king Sweyn, while Thorfinn in the manga will most likely go after Canute becomes king.

Thorfinn Thordarson
    Canute the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    You're mistaken, Sea.

Vinland Saga and it's main character, Thorfinn, are loosely based on the accounts from the real Vinland Saga, Saga of Eric the Red. Thorfinn Karlsefni, an explorer who tried to settle Greenland, went onto his expedition in the very beginning of the 11th century.
    And here's the deal: in Denmark's history there were two kings by the name of Sweyn who were succeeded by sons named C(a)nut(e). Sweyn Forkbeard was succeeded by his son Harald while his other son Cnut was conquering England. It's precisely the situation we have now in the manga - Askellad killed Sweyn, Harald became king of Denamrk and Canute conquers Mercia. While Sweyn II and his son Canute IV lived in the latter half of the 11th century.
    However, Yukimura, moved the events a little: real Throfinn went to Greenland during the reign of king Sweyn, while Thorfinn in the manga will most likely go after Canute becomes king.

Thorfinn Thordarson
    Canute the Great
    Thanks. I am clueless haha.

LOL, somebody just fixed the article about Thorkell The Tall in Wikipedia. That's quick.
    According to a description of Cnut found within the 13th-century Knýtlinga saga
    Knut was exceptionally tall and strong, and the handsomest of men, all except for his nose, that was thin, high-set, and rather hooked. He had a fair complexion none-the-less, and a fine, thick head of hair. His eyes were better than those of other men, both the handsomer and the keener of their sight.
    It seem Yukimura kept the "handsomest" part.
    But it's likely that he has got stronger.
    In 1021, though, Jarl Thorkell fell out with king Canute
    This seems to be what will happen.
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/medieval.www/sa.../kruhoffer.htm

I am looking forward to the manga version of the "Sea, I command you to come no farther." story. The screen time that crown got serve more purpose than I thought.
    Last edited by Sea; December 9th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Shipmate

Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    It seem Yukimura kept the "handsomest" part.
    But it's likely that he has got stronger.
    Canute is hot and I'm not the one to deny it. A shame he lost the long hair, but the beard is an awesome exchange.

This seems to be what will happen.
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/medieval.www/sa.../kruhoffer.htm
    Considering that Yukimura must have had a reason to move the dates, it is likely. If that bit with Canute in Mercia had a purpose, it was probably foreshadow the continuation of the english campaign. That stage is pretty much set, and what is left is create a plot link for Thorfinn to get from danish farmlands to english battlefield. However, with his gradual change, Thorfinn might be not willing to keep on fighting and even escape the conflict leading to conflicts of other sort. Well, that we have yet to see.

I am looking forward to the manga version of the "Sea, I command you to come no farther." story. The screen time that crown got serve more purpose than I thought.
    Definately a Yukimura scene here. If the mangaka has done his research - and that a solid "yes" - this story will be implemented in some way, to further the development of Canute.

Caught up with this series. Pretty awesome. Askellad is like one of the greatest characters ever!!! Not minding this change in pace. I'm sure there will be a sweet, sweet payoff in the end. I miss sexy Canute though:(

Shipmate

As musch as I miss long, long hair of Canute, beard is a worthy, worthy trade off.

Chapter 70 is out on mangastream.

Unfortunately, it's a very quick read.

quite a disappointing chapter thorfinn seem to have snapped in the bad way
    Sloths...so bad@$$ they named it after a sin
    ROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL*blech*

This is going on a Vagabond-esque route. I am kinda stuffed with the main characters wondering about the meaning of violence.
    Last edited by THE SEA; December 27th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Cool Re: Vinland Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
    This is going on a Vagabond's route. I am kinda stuffed with the main characters wondering about the meaning of violence.
    Once I saw him give up I figured these little self reflection/realization would inevitably ensue.

He's gonna eventually find a reason to live and something to fight for.

With both manga things like that usually happen when the main characters live in a time of peace.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Shipmate

This chapter was made in Yukimura's style to the core. Subtle, yet strong and gritty. I really enjoyed the dream and Valhalla and can't help but wait for more.

On the Musashi compairison, I view Thorfinn's situation diferently - whereas Musashi has chosen the path of the blade himself and only later began to stray from it onto a new one, Thorfinn was pretty much forced to stride the road of war. Therefore their answers will differ.

Besides, Vagabond on unlimited hiatus.

Not the best chapter, but certainly a necessary one. Seeing Yukimura's interpretation of Valhalla was really cool, as was seeing Einar coming out as quite the tough little badass.

Also, this chapter answers an important question: Do Ex-Warriors Dream of Icelandic Sheep?

Shipmate

And chapter 71 follows.

Yukimura excels in this territory, that's one of her main grounds - to depict the inner thoughts and struggles. And such presentation, as this surreal Valhalla, only makes it better.

Thorfinn finally comes to a conclusion, may be an obvious one, may be not, but a logical and true one either way. This is the first step for him to take over the apthy, to find a wish to live and search for a dream, for a purpose.

I can't feel anything else than excitement for this and the coming chapters.

So he is going to become an explorer?

Shipmate

Yeah.

Despite how much Yukimura will keep the plot close to the historic accounts, she's going to make Thorfinn the first explorer of American continent. But for a slave today to come in such a position tomorrow, a long way lies ahead. A path, full of stuggle and fight, I reckon.

So the Musashi/Guts route eh?

Boo, I want my blood-thirsty Thorfinn back.

And sexy Kanute while you're at it...
    Last edited by TLC; January 26th, 2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Also ugh, right when we're about to reach a climax, the series has a one issue break><

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-san View Post
    So the Musashi/Guts route eh?

Boo, I want my blood-thirsty Thorfinn back.

And sexy Kanute while you're at it...
    I'm looking forward to this. Characters on blood thirst 24/7 with no further traits are boring. It's the occasional breakout types that stick out of the red soup.

Greenland may be one of the points that might not be historically accurate. Cause it used to be kind of empty when the Norse landed. Or the map is missing some cultures. Maybe he transfers some Inuit there.
    Last edited by m00n; January 26th, 2011 at 11:33 AM.

Although I was kind of expecting this scene...since the mangake's previous work planetes was all about love and peace..
    Thorfinn's parting of violence seems too soon or out of place, and especially the meaning of Warrior..
    He should go back to his home, to sea his mother and sister though,

anyway It is not hard to picture that despite Thorfinn proclaiming that he will part with violence... he still have lot of fight left to do in this manga.

Snake and the king and his adventure...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information