+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Default Re: Vinland Saga

Haha whut. This piece of highly dramaticized fiction told in the most fantastical medium of all is not adhering to the laws of reality! By jove, wait until the country club hears of this outrage!

You guys are ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Shipmate

Thorkell has thrown a horse once.

Or so they say.

http://www.mangareader.net/125-6204-...hapter-32.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/125-6204-...hapter-32.html

http://www.mangareader.net/125-6209-...hapter-37.html

I think those are even more outrageous than the horse uppercut. Or at the same level.

Thorkell is too damn awesome. We need him back.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by brennen.exe View Post
    What don't you like about the eyes? They look decently realistic most of the time. Not that I pay much attention, but looking back at this most recent chapter, they seemed fine to me.
    I am still catching up.
    The eyes are too big for a seinen manga (while the eyeballs are small) I guess, especially in the early issues. Those eyes don't fit in well with the rest of the body, which are pretty realistic, IMO.
    Apparently the art has improved. I just checked the recent issues and this problem has been reduced.
    Last edited by Sea; December 4th, 2010 at 05:30 AM.

There are rules to these things, dammit. Everything must conform to these arbitrary boxes I invented!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    There are rules to these things, dammit. Everything must conform to these arbitrary boxes I invented!

Heaven forbids men to have different taste.
    Last edited by Sea; December 4th, 2010 at 05:40 AM.

Taste is fine, but there isn't a set "style" to seinen manga, or a series of guidelines that all of them abide by. In fact its one of the more inclusive descriptors you could use to describe manga, because the entire point is that grown-ups are not as picky as children and can understand and appreciate a much wider range of expression!

Berserk, Vinland, Hellsing and Naoki Urasawa are not the only things that are seinen.

Taste is fine, but there isn't a set "style" to seinen manga, or a series of guidelines that all of them abide by. In fact its one of the more inclusive descriptors you could use to describe manga, because the entire point is that grown-ups are not as picky as children and can understand and appreciate a much wider range of expression!

Berserk, Vinland, Hellsing and Naoki Urasawa are not the only things that are seinen.

Perhaps it was poor choice of phrasing. I apologize for the confusion. This isn't not really about seinen or shounen. It's about expression. For example, Hokuto no Ken is a shounen. I would replace " a seinen manga" with "the neat, realistic art of Vinland."

I feel the eyes in the early chapters of Vinland are out of place. The eyes in The World's mine are big too, but they fit right in with the outrageous style.
    The art in Vinland is neat, but they eyes felt plastic, unrealistic, really lack something in artistic manner, a bit unfit, not to the genre, but to itself. The author seems to be aware of this and has improved his style.
    Now I spoiled myself to check the recent chapters, I see the eyes have gotten more sufficient.
    Still feel out of place sometime.
    I really like the shading. With the eyes handled better, it could give some more depth.
    And aren't really the most classic ones either.

--------

Here is an example of what I was talking bout, Snarf.

Spoiler:

Same emotion. Same author. Different way of expression. Which one do you like better? Didn't the large eyes make the art a little too goofy?
    In and of its self, the eyes have gotten smaller compared in the whole face structure.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Which I like.
    I am not telling you to like the author's choice in changing his style. It's up totally up to you.
    But hey, would you sir, the refined grow up gentleman, mind making a little more constructive comment next time, instead of mocking remark to me? Not like I was at any point buthurt with the eyes. Just bugged me a tiny bit.

-------------------------------------------
    Personally I am not a fan of the "detailedly shaded gritty characters with puppy eyes" style.
    Talking about taste, I really dislike Gantz's art. It feels really plastic. Not that it's a quality manga anyway.

Another series with good art but having out of place element would be Goodbye Shinsengumi. It's still good.
    Last edited by Sea; December 4th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Man I just reached Askeladd's death. It's fabulous.
    He just became my favourite cunning old man along with Retsudo.

I don't know what you're talking about man, all those eyes look like the exact same size.

Anyways, this topic is pretty dumb. Vinland rules.

I don't know what you're talking about man, all those eyes look like the exact same size.
    The ratio with the face got smaller.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It has become more realistic.
    Anyways, this topic is pretty dumb.
    A proper discussion about art from an artist? I don't think so. Though it's a very small problem with the series not wroth arguing over, it maybe useful.

Vinland rules.
    I don't think anyone would disagree.
    Just caught up BTW.
    Last edited by Sea; December 4th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

I still can't see much of a problem with the eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    Just caught up BTW.
    Dito.
    [YOUTUBE]x_iPvUWyzhE[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by m00n View Post
    I still can't see much of a problem with the eyes.
    I never said it was much of a problem, not to mention a few panels cannot express what I felt while reading through out the series. To be honest you don't need to pay that much attention to the art. I did because I am an artist.

He voiced a reasonable personal opinion about the artwork and explained why he dislikes an aspect of it. People need to stop jumping up screaming "OMG, he insulted something I like, how dare he!" everytime someone criticizes something.
    "Sleep brings no rest to me; The shadows of the death my wakening eyes may never see surround my bed"-Emily Bronte(The Horrors of Sleep)

No I'm fine with that. Sea's a good artist. Naturally he will notice things I don't. And that was all I wanted to say. I don't see it. I'm not passing judgement on Sea.

I guess I will explain a bit further.
    Look at your man:
    Spoiler:

Now look at me:
    Spoiler:

Now back to your man.
    Now back to me.
    Do you feel something wrong with it?
    Gritty character with big shiny eyes. Eh? Their faces are not feminine at all.
    It's out of place. Especially in serious situation.
    Thors's design always look a bit too goofy for me.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    With exaggerated eyes like these, it will be harder to take things seriously (note that these are taken from dead serious situations):
    Spoiler:

These eyes can't convey serious emotions to the readers too well.
    Especially when you know that old people's eyes cannot be as clear and shiny as young people.

That is what I like about One Piece's eyes. Old people's eyes are rather small. Shanks's eyes has become smaller. Really sufficient. Really expressive.

Spoiler:

In One Piece, exaggerated eyes and exaggerated faces fit well together.
    Vinland's art sometime remind me of Fairy Tail's art. The artists control his lines too much, so it lack some freedom. Of course Vinland's art is far more better.
    Makorov's shiny large eyes annoy me.
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Sea; December 6th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

The problem is, you're mixing indoor and outdoor lighting examples. While some of the examples show really big eyes and those are indeed ridiculous, a person's pupils tend to contract in lower light situations (read: inside) than outside. So it's normal for us to see larger pupils in outdoor scenes... While I don't know how closely this particular artist follows that rule, It seems he has increased his pupil/iris size a bit, so I can see why you're upset.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

I am not upset LOL, just bugged a bit.
    And baby face with big shiny eyes and facial hair is a really bad combination. He just looks too funny to be taken seriously. It's like a girl wearing a beard wig.
    Spoiler:

This is a bishonen Rich Applause I drew to tease him, but it looked less awkward because I added a small roughness to the face and don't let the eyes open to large.
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Sea; December 6th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

I'll be honest and add that I was a bit off put by the eye's in Vinland, and that mild judgement has delayed me from reading an awesome series.

When I get some free time, i'm definitely gonna sit down with this one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information