+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thread: General Persona Thread

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Default Re: General Persona Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Also Jiraiya is a lame Persona
    I vehemently disagree. If we're talking worst Persona 4 party member Persona design, I think you mean Take-Mikazuchi. Kanji's Persona.

Every main character's Shadow has a design that is a clever well made representation of their repressed feelings (aside from maybe Naoto's. And Yukiko's is pretty cliche and on the nose).

In turn, their Personas end up being more healthy balanced versions of those Shadow designs; representing how they have accepted their true selves and taking responsibility for their flaws by striving to change. Yosuke, for all his writing faults later on in the story, probably has the best Shadow>Persona design transformation on a thematic level. And I think an inflatable air dancer ninja frog with Mickey Mouse ears just looks cool in general.

But then look at Kanji's. I love his Shadow's design because it perfectly embodies his internal struggle of fearing judgment for having both traditionally masculine and feminine personality traits. But his Persona design is such a shallow take on his character. It only embodies his rebel bad boy appearance facade (not that it's a complete facade since he is prone to fighting but it is mostly exaggerated to ward off people) and not any of his repressed sensitivity, gender identity conflict, and DIY sewing/furniture hobbies.

For some reason, Kanji's Persona looks like a Punisher-Hulkbuster Iron Man LEGO action figure with a giant lightning bolt rock stick. Which is an okay design, I guess? I feel like Atlus made the Persona design before they fully thought out Kanji's character and stuck with it because they liked how it looked too much to alter or scrap it.

Seriously, Kanji's Persona design boggles the mind. Especially when everything else about him is freaking perfect.
    Last edited by Count Mario; January 19th, 2019 at 12:56 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I vehemently disagree. If we're talking worst Persona 4 party member Persona design, I think you mean Take-Mikazuchi. Kanji's Persona.

Every main character's Shadow has a design that is a clever well made representation of their repressed feelings (aside from maybe Naoto's. And Yukiko's is pretty cliche and on the nose).

In turn, their Personas end up being more healthy balanced versions of those Shadow designs; representing how they have accepted their true selves and taking responsibility for their flaws by striving to change. Yosuke, for all his writing faults later on in the story, probably has the best Shadow>Persona design transformation on a thematic level. And I think an inflatable air dancer ninja frog with Mickey Mouse ears just looks cool in general.

But then look at Kanji's. I love his Shadow's design because it perfectly embodies his internal struggle of fearing judgment for having both traditionally masculine and feminine personality traits. But his Persona design is such a shallow take on his character. It only embodies his rebel bad boy appearance facade (not that it's a complete facade since he is prone to fighting but it is mostly exaggerated to ward off people) and not any of his repressed sensitivity, gender identity conflict, and DIY sewing/furniture hobbies.

For some reason, Kanji's Persona looks like a Punisher-Hulkbuster Iron Man LEGO action figure with a giant lightning bolt rock stick. Which is an okay design, I guess? I feel like Atlus made the Persona design before they fully thought out Kanji's character and stuck with it because they liked how it looked too much to alter or scrap it.

Seriously, Kanji's Persona design boggles the mind. Especially when everything else about him is freaking perfect.
    That's really cool, I never put much thought into how the persona designs relate to their shadow counterparts so it's interesting to hear. Funnily enough I actually really like Take-Mikazuchi's design but that's just entirely based off aesthetics and me thinking it's cool how he broke his lightening bolt whenever he used magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Think you meant to say Kintoki-Douji.
    Kintoki-Douji is almost lame but it comes back around full circle to being cool by embracing being an ugly Persona that's carrying a huge missile

Guess I'm the only one that doesn't like Ryuji

from what I've seen, Ryuji seems like a really good guy underneath it all. plus Max Mittleman bias.

On Ryuji:

Spoiler:

Also, while he is the worst during the story, his actions do show growth and repentance. Same with his clash with Morgana during the arc were they are both the worst.

While Morgana is throughly lecherous and the story wants you to treat is as a joke. I don't know what is worse, because one of the fact that yes, he IS the car, and yes the whole party is sitting inside him, bringing it up is just awful, and they could have made it so Morgana doesn't transforms but summons a car, or that he is the chasis or has no feeling at all.

The Navi-baby siting don't really matter, is just a poor implementation of game mechanics, if they never gave you the choice to be awake during those hours, and relegated that keepup time to the mornings, where yeah, you have to get to school, so you can't go and have adventures.

So we are in the same page:

With Ryuji is: Insensibility, big ego and loud.
    With Morgana is: lecherous, big ego and gameplay gatekeeping.

Right?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Going through the 6th Palace, social stats maxed out or mostly and trying to finish the s.links I still can (Kawakami, Iwai and the arcade kid are out of question at this point. Ohya and Sojiro will require some extra effort. All the others are 8~9. Ryuji, Yoshida and Mishima maxed out).

As for romantic interest, I thought of Hifumi at first but her plot line bored me as it went. Now I am between Chihaya and, taking me entirely by surprise, Haru (I wasn't a fan of her character and she felt totally non-romanceable with her childlike voice and posture, but her confidant plot shows her under a much better light highlighting her adult responsibilities - that "dung coffee" dialogue was the game breaker, though, it was just so. damn. perfect).
    I absolutely adore Futaba, but she basically becomes your sister so no - and I abhor the "pat pat" obsession of japanese fiction couples, would never support this.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; January 24th, 2019 at 06:56 AM.

Futaba's is just so akward, first she's just one year younger, and you know her for like 6 months, but then the whole "sister codification" that is on her, and the fact that a ton of her social link is swimming in that.. Mabye let you decide if you like her or not early and NOT do the whole sister thing if you are attracted to her? She's the one that pushed the most out of all the girls for the relationship, but...yeah.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Yeah. I get her being infatuated with you given her backstory, lack of socialization and all, so it would be easy to mistake things and develop a crush over the guy finally giving her attention and helping her out (pretty much like people fall for their therapist). But the game allowing you to reciprocate that is... awkward at best, taking advantage of her underdeveloped emotional maturity (caused by extreme trauma) at worst.

So, I finished it after 135 hours. The game really weakens as it goes by, huh!?

Spoiler:
    The first arc is easily the one where most effort was put into and things just go downhill from the second onwards. The 4th arc is the only time when things kinda get back on track, but that's only as far as Futaba goes because the whole Phantom Thieves x Medjed bit is terribly handled (yeah, I get there was never real Medjeds there, but still), and then it improves again once it blows its proportions at Mementos.
    The lowest point must be the whole Akechi/Shido stuff, everything was so poorly written that sometimes it was plainly embarrassing - which is a shame because I really liked Akechi at first and was hoping he would end up joining your team, but instantly after he is revealed to have a Persona is a one-way trip to turd town. And the 2 hours exposition dump after the whole "death plan" was so absurdly annoyingly long - not only they needed to explain every little thing, I am almost sure some things were explained more than once - I almost felt like dropping it.

The Phantom Thieves somehow lose the feeling of "cool group of misplaced individuals operating outside law to reform society" as story progresses and we keep seeing them as kids throwing around cringy cliché lines. They should give you a Strawhat sort of vibe in the sense that they are good guys but still with their own moral code, but not really. I still like the kids individually, though, it's just that the PT as a group and entity loses its charm almost entirely after some point.

The gameplay got to be the never faltering area. It was just perfect and you could grind for hours if you wanted so before starting to get bored, even after almost 140 hours I still kept trying to get finisher screens all the time because they are the coolest thing (I hate Futaba doesn't get one when she sets the Hold Up with Position Hack). They really found the perfect balance to make fighting the random enemies challenging enough so it was engaging but not too much that it stopped being enjoyable (the always amazing soundtrack certainly helped in this).
    And thank god Ranga - forever my fave - was even more viable now, so I could rely on her all the way up to the last boss without ever being hold back.

As far as Confidants go, only Kawakami and arcade kid were not maxed out (both ended at level 3). I ended up unable to decide between Chihaya and Haru to romance, so I ended up going with Haru because age. Kinda regretted it seeing how it irrelevant the whole romance thing ended up being, so I could just go and have the main character not romance anyone as I truly wanted if I only didn't felt I would be losing a part of the game by doing so.
    I was really surprised by how much the Warden Twins grew on me as I initially found them too trope-ish. Lala not being a Confidant is borderline criminal, though.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the group personas. I absolutely love Goemon and Milady. One thing I disliked, though, it that, just like in P4, I can actually feel like the girls' initial/ultimate Personas are the same power upgraded as far as visuals go, but the guys' seem like completely unrelated once they change.

Anyways, overall the game really drops the ball and keeps dropping only to kinda find it back in the final arc (Mementos), but even dropping so much it was still a great game - you don't devote over 130 hours to something unless you are really enjoying it.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; February 3rd, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    So, I finished it after 135 hours. The game really weakens as it goes by, huh!?

stuff
    Doesn't help that (spoilers about the final boss stuff)
    Spoiler:
    Shido felt more "final boss" material with everything all tying it back to him (as awkward as some of it was INCLUDING the Akechi thing); Not to mention the Shido battle felt pretty epic as well with the ost and overall setup. However, even after beating him, the game felt unnecessarily long with the REAL final boss with some sort of convoluted "Persona-esquel" social commentary message behind it. I would have felt far more content with the game if it just ended with Shido as I felt little to no emotional attachment/investment to the final boss at all.

Surely, I'm not the only one that felt like the end of the game kinda dragged a lot. Still, the best part of the game was the first few dungeons with an incredible hook.

The end of the game didn't really feel dragged to me out it's just the final dungeon(s) sucked ass.

But hey at least they didn't force you to exit out of them multiple times like Kamoshida's Castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

About the Ryuji issues:

Hidden:
    Like, I get it: He's loud. He's obnoxious. He's stupid. But when people compare him and say "Junpei and Yosuke are so much better!" Fuck no.

-Junpei witnesses one moment of you being a leader and wants to betray you because how dare you show strength.
    -Yosuke spends the entire game being the most judgmental asshat at everyone corner, whether is be you or any of the teammates. Also, NO HOMO AT ALL TIMES!

Ryuji is a loud doofus, but dammit, if that boy ain't loyal to you. He's got your back from day 1 and never sways away. He fucks up plenty, but he is your boy through and through. Ryuji's goodbye ALONE...

R: “I’m gonna stop by your hometown so you can show me around n’ shit.”
    J: “But there’s nothing to see there.”
    R: “Whaddya mean? You’re there.”

Best bro. Like, I don't demand people like Ryuji, but... Yosuke or Junpei being better? No thanks.

I could understand people who argue Junpei is better than Ryuji but Yosuke?

Even without the pissing on Kanji he's is not that damn good.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I could understand people who argue Junpei is better than Ryuji but Yosuke?

Even without the pissing on Kanji he's is not that damn good.
    Just to get it out there, I never meant to imply earlier in the thread that Yosuke is better than Ryuji or Junpei. Hell to the freaking no lol. I was only saying that for the first couple or so months in the game, he's likable and I feel like that's often overlooked among all of the deserved mocking towards him.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Nah those final hours are a fucking drag, hell duengeon design goes way down once you reach the Space deugeon which is where the game fell down for me as a whole.

Doesn't help the game has a massive problem with Ann considering her story revolves around Kamoshida and stuff, then afterwards the game will go out of its way to fan service Ann from showing her ass and tits all to hell including the shitty animated cut scenes (nothing in them is spectacular or something they couldn't do with the ingame models).

That and has probably the most offensive Gay stereotypes I have seen in video games in quite awhile....seriously I think Atlus has a problem there nothing to them besides the one joke that is:
    "Oh nooooess its the gaaayyysss, we better run away before they put stuff in our butt" it also doesn't help it perpetuates the idea of gay people being sexual deviants and pedos going after young boys when they are way older.....

Yeah, Atlus really does have a huge fucking issue with that subject that has needed to be addressed for some time. The series has always had an issue with that, and on the plus side (despite those two guy being the most offensive case in the series), the number of anti-LGBT moments in Persona 5 are honestly reduced for the rest of the series. Ryuji doesn't mind when you flatter him. Yusuke almost seems open to the idea. Morgana is a cat, and Goro won't go out with you unless you are a stack of pancakes.

Compare this to Yosuke who spends an entire dungeon going 'ew gay' or Kanji always having to affirm his heterosexuality at parts cause god forbid... I mean, yeah, the two assaulting pedos in P5 offends me to no end and is much worse, but having Yosuke scold me because I called Kanji hot really pisses me off more since I'm supposed to call this guy my 'best friend'. Prick.

the shitty animated cut scenes (nothing in them is spectacular or something they couldn't do with the ingame models).
    Nothing spectacular but also nothing shitty either at least these were actually animated unlike Persona 3 Portable with it's still images.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    Morgana is a cat,
    He is ?

Hard to tell with his insistence that he may be human.

Lala should have been the devil confidant, but as she didn't need help there wasn't much Joker could do for her
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Nothing spectacular but also nothing shitty either at least these were actually animated unlike Persona 3 Portable with it's still images.
    If your gonna have an animated scene do something spectacular with it something you couldn't do normally with the ingame models or do it for really intense and great moments which really outside of the Ann breakdown and the first one I thought they were poor, doesn't help some are used for Cheesecake fanservice.....

Look at how FFX handles its cg cut scenes

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information