+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: General Persona Thread

Default Re: Persona 5 !

Persona 4's game mechanics were more enjoyable imo. They were smoothed out i.e. party members are controllable, they're closer knit since they're all social links, you no longer get tired or sick, polygamy is easier, etc.
    Hey you! Let's party!

Possible minor spoilers. Nothing SPECIFICALLY pertaining to the Persona games but I do reveal the underlying theme of Persona/Megaten (shin Megami Tensei) games.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    All this Persona 4 love makes me wonder if Persona 3 is even worth the time.
    Play them both *_* You are missing out on one of the most epic franchises of all time.

It's hard to choose which one is better or which one I like more, because they both have amazing aspects in each that are unique to both of them. If you are really into the dating sim/character building stuff you'll enjoy 4 more because theres way more stuff to do to build your stats and level up your social links. Also you can control your party directly in 4, which eliminates having to pray that your party members wont do something stupid (but if you want a challenge you dont HAVE to control your members).

But honestly, despite both games having serious character building moments, I am still way more attached to the P3 characters. I felt a love and connection to almost all of them, the P4 crew not so much, but the P4 characters are still awesome and full of great personality (and P4 has way more epic lulz then P3, and the genderbend fashion show of P4 outshines the epic bath scene in P3 XDD)

My biggest peeve of P4 is you cant return to the "base" area and be completely healed. If you run out of items/SP to heal you're fucked and done for the day, I liked how in P3 you could keep going until you were exhausted (though I only did that much if I REALLY needed to level whore in a hurry) and you got a lot more done in a night that way.

My post seems to be making P4 sound better XD Well actually, they did take the epic things in P3 and build upon them in P4 and make them better, so I guess you could say in more ways its a superior game to P3, but I still love the characters and how more closely P3 kept to the post-apocalyptic theme of Shin Megami Tensei then P4 did. Well P4 did keep to the theme well too... Meh I actually still haven't gotten to the end of P4 and I'm not spoiled on it like I was about P3 (I'm at the end of P3 now, just need to get unlazy and finish, but i was totally spoiled for it beforehand XD) Also P4 is quite a bit more complicated and detailed then P4, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences in a game.

Also P3 has FES which has the extra game/story that gives you even deeper insight into the characters which I also liked a lot.

Meh which one you enjoy more is up to you, but all the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games are epic.
    Last edited by Arei; March 25th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.

. tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn & nintendo id squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

Quote Originally Posted by Arei View Post
    Play them both
    This .
    Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn.

Agree with the play them both. Arei pretty much perfectly sums up the differences but both are utterly amazing RPGs, two of the best I've ever played: and I'm a hard guy to please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Speaking of Shin Megami Tensei games, has anyone played Strange Journey on the DS yet?
    Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn.

In P4, the dog hits you up for money for healing if you level her.

I want it on PS2. Persona needs no HD effects to be made of love, and I own no HD consoles.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: General Persona Thread

For such a niche series, it's always seemed incredible to me how much of the series atlus has brought to the west. And now the only game never to be localised to english in any way, Persona 2 : Innocent Sin, is going arrive in the form of its PSP remake.

Since I'm in general party mood I concatenated the various persona threads into one geneal orgy of awesomeness discussion of this fantastic series.
    Last edited by Darkstorm; May 24th, 2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: huzzah for atlus

I'm pumped for the PSP remake.

Okay, I'm TRYING to enjoy Persona 3, TRYING MY DAMNDEST, but I... just can't love it. I dunno if it's because of the fact that P3 vanilla is totally obselete, or maybe the tedious and repetitive dungeon crawl, or maybe the lack of any deep exploration.

But I love the characters, I love the concept, and I love the customization. I'm only somewhere in May though. Is this one of those games that gets better with time? Should I just stick it out until a certain point? I really want to enjoy this game. Really, I do... but as of now, it's just, well, boring.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Chucklepants Fallupface View Post
    Okay, I'm TRYING to enjoy Persona 3, TRYING MY DAMNDEST, but I... just can't love it. I dunno if it's because of the fact that P3 vanilla is totally obselete, or maybe the tedious and repetitive dungeon crawl, or maybe the lack of any deep exploration.

But I love the characters, I love the concept, and I love the customization. I'm only somewhere in May though. Is this one of those games that gets better with time? Should I just stick it out until a certain point? I really want to enjoy this game. Really, I do... but as of now, it's just, well, boring.
    Yes, Persona 3 was a bit hard for me to get in to as well, but then again most RPG's I've played have that problem. I usually get really hooked once my party's levels are in the 20's or 30's. The beginning was a bit boring for me, but once I've reached the 3rd block of Tartarus you couldn't pay me to stop playing. You should definitely keep playing and sooner or later you'll realize why this game is considered one of the best RPG's for the PS2 and beyond. Mark my words, IT GETS A LOT BETTER.
    Last edited by royal pain; May 24th, 2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: And while I'm at it, huzzah for Atlus!

Quote Originally Posted by Chucklepants Fallupface View Post

Well what version of Persona 3 are you playing? Cause honestly, if you really want the best experience of P3, I'd have to recommend the PSP version.

If they'd not gotten rid of the free roaming in the social part and the fmv's I'd call it the definitive version.

I'm playing Persona 3 vanilla.

I'm not savvy to shelling out even more money for a game I'm having trouble enjoying :\

Well, what are you finding boring? If it's the combat, I always found the battle system too fun to care about the amount of dungeon crawling.

My P3/FES memories have kind of melded into one gelatinous mass with time, but I don't remember the P3 combat being any less fun.

In p3 I spent countless hours breeding things to try and get them ideal abilities. That was a pain. Then eventually I got Thor's hammer and it allowed me to kill everything and I grinded high enough that nothing was a problem.

But the characters and interactions and social link stuff carries you pretty far through the game. For me it didn't get tedious until near the end of the game when you've done all the social links you *want* to do at that point and it just remains to grind with the various idiots you'd ignored up until that point.

I still haven't gotten P4 because it looked like it was a lot more of the same, and I wasn't quite ready to run into another bout of that just yet. I'll get it eventually.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I was playing persona 4 but got killed an hour into the third dungeon(rage inducing foes alongside repel physical beetles.....) and I shelved it for now
    PSN: Climb25
    WiiU: MANUELF
    3DS: 1805-2220-5158

Shadow Yukiko ends yet another player's patience.

rurouning between Paris, Strasbourg, Kehl and Grandline

I spent something like 3 hours fighting the final boss of Persona 3. Then when I was about to beat him, the bastard charmed my Akihiko who "Diarahaned" him immediately. I lost a few minutes after. And yet I fuckin' love this game, easily in my top 5 favorite games. Story-wise, this game is a masterpiece.

Do people consider 3 to be superior to 4? I found the story line of 4 (that I got through) to be more interesting than the story line of 3 (that I got through). Of course, I only watched somebody else play P4 with hilarious commentary and I played through P3 on easy mode (way easier than I expected), so those could both factor into my perceptions of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo Gorilla View Post
    Do people consider 3 to be superior to 4? I found the story line of 4 (that I got through) to be more interesting than the story line of 3 (that I got through). Of course, I only watched somebody else play P4 with hilarious commentary and I played through P3 on easy mode (way easier than I expected), so those could both factor into my perceptions of the games.
    I've heard arguments on both sides really. Personally, I think it all comes down to opinion.

I prefer Persona 4 for a few reasons, but I think the biggest reason that some people seem to prefer P4 is the story, while still not very good, is a bit more engaging from the get-go than prior game's strategy of LETS GO CLIMB THE TOWER and have story happen along the way.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information